Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,
which one is the correct sentence:

a. They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know they were, with a clasp knife.

b. They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know they were supporters, with a clasp knife.

c. They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know to be, with a clasp knife.

Thank you,
S~

Hello,
which one is the correct sentence:

a. They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know they were, with a clasp knife.

b. They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know they were supporters, with a clasp knife.

c. They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know to be, with a clasp knife.

Thank you,
S~
It's not very clear what you want to say. Can you word it differently?

Those who were threatened are now fans but they didn't know they were supporters till they were threatened.

It's a funny way to say that they were threatened so that they could become fans and now they are fans.

I think there are too many theys in your sentence and that makes it unclear. "They" can be both supporters and those who threaten them.

I think you mean the following. I hope it's correct.

They did threaten our biggest supporters, who they did not know were supporters, with a clasp knife.

But it's not the best sentence I've seen in my life...

Ok, I shall try to make this thing a little bit more clear.
people who were not supporters people with knives

They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know to be [supporters], with a clasp knife.

So somebody made not-supporters into supporters with knives. These not-supporters acknowledged they were supporters once threatened.

Ok, I shall try to make this thing a little bit more clear.
people who were not supporters people with knives

They did threaten our biggest supporters, who did not know to be [supporters], with a clasp knife.

So somebody made not-supporters into supporters with knives. These not-supporters acknowledged they were supporters once threatened.
Our biggest supporters didn't know that they were supporters, until they were threatened by people with clasp knives.
Just a suggestion.

Alas it is a translation, so I have to keep it as similar as possible to the Italian text.

(Hanno minacciato i nostri più sfegatati fan, che non sapevano di esserlo, con un coltellino a serramanico)

Alas it is a translation, so I have to keep it as similar as possible to the Italian text.

(Hanno minacciato i nostri più sfegatati fan, che non sapevano di esserlo, con un coltellino a serramanico)
Sorry, I don't fully understand Italian. Perhaps Raymott may be able to help, I believe he is of Italian origin.

I speak a bit of Italian but I'm still not sure what you mean. I understand that "che" refers to "i fan". Does "non sapevano" refer to "i fan" too? Didn't the fans know they were fans themselves?

So, know that we've finally found a way to get my original idea, ho can we edit the sentence in #1 to make it as understandable as possible?

I've found a solution: "threatened our unaware but most ardent fans with a clasp knife"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back