[General] ordinal numbers and time of day (5th o'clock?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

To my logic, after the fashion of 3rd (day) of March, it should be 3rd (hour) p.m.

Can anyone help me understand this? Have ordinal numerals ever been used in this context in English? They are in my language :roll:.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

To my logic, after the fashion of 3rd (day) of March, it should be 3rd (hour) p.m.

Can anyone help me understand this? Have ordinal numerals ever been used in this context in English? They are in my language :roll:.

"Five o'clock" is an abbreviation of "Five of the clock".

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for attending to my post, but why is it not 5th of the clock? By the same token why is it not 1995th or 2014th (provided the date here is read as a single number instead of a pair of numbers).

When it is said "it is the 3rd year of his work", why is it not said "2014th year of the AD era"? Have ordinal numerals ever been used in English with reference to hours / years?

Curious thing is how ordinal numeral is after all used in the expression "in the 11th hour". Is this some echo of the past norm?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for attending to my post, but why is it not 5th of the clock? By the same token why is it not 1995th or 2014th (provided the date here is read as a single number instead of a pair of numbers).

When it is said "it is the 3rd year of his work", why is it not said "2014th year of the AD era"? Have ordinal numerals ever been used in English with reference to hours / years?

Curious thing is how ordinal numeral is after all used in the expression "in the 11th hour". Is this some echo of the past norm?

It could be "It's the fifth hour of the clock", it wouldn't be natural in most contexts, though. It cannot be "It is fifth o'clock".

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I quite understand that "It's fifth o'clock" would not be natural. I fully respect the current rules of English as I am trying to learn them and am not attempting to change anything :roll:. I merely wanted to intrigue the native speakers in this forum and hear their reaction :-?.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I merely wanted to intrigue the native speakers in this forum and hear their reaction :-?.
My reaction is simply that that's the way it is.

PeterValk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not a teacher nor a native English speaker (but Polish is somehow similar to Russian)

In Polish you probably say things the same way Russians do: 5 minutes of the fifth hour (04.05 or 16.05)

Russians look forward to the next full hour, whereas in English (and many other European languages) one looks back to how many minutes have past after the last full hour. At least untill half past.
So, if you want to learn how to speak English correctly, forget about ordinal numbers in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.