Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody,

I applied for a job, they sent me an email about my application as below:

Hello!

We have received your application and appreciate your time and interest in working with X Group!

X Group is home to some of the world’s leading travel companies, products, and services for travelers around the world. Together, these popular brands and innovative businesses strive to bring the world within reach through travel. Our employees have the space and permission to bring diverse thoughts, passion, and skills to work with them every day to make this goal a reality.

I think it should be "no article" here. No "space" and " permission" mentioned before. I also don't know which space and which permission.

Is it still correct if I obmit "the" here?

Could you please help me explain?

Thank you

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The definite article is optional but it's perfectly grammatical there. It refers specifically to the space and permission that company gives its employees.
The phrase as a whole means that employees have a lot of leeway in bringing their own ideas to the company. They are not steered towards certain tasks or outcomes. They're allowed to come up with their own ideas and, to a certain extent, work however and on whatever they wish. The only requirement is that what they do helps the company achieve its goal.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
(1) Our employees have the space and permission to bring diverse thoughts, passion, and skills to work with them every day to make this goal a reality.
If I change this sentence to something like this:

(2) Our employees have ( no article) good spaces to have their tasks done while working with us.

I think, in (2), we should use "no article". Right?

Why in (1), “the” is preferable, but not in (2)?

Right?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Space" to a employee means leeway (as emsr2d2 explained) or freedom to bring in new and better ideas to the company to help it achieve its objectives. It does not mean the physical space within which an employee works in, so "good space" doesn't work. In any case, "good" does not collocate with "space", physical or otherwise.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
(1) Our employees have the space and permission to bring diverse thoughts, passion, and skills to work with them every day to make this goal a reality.
(3) Our employees have a good workplace to have their jobs done while working with us.

The context is used for both (1) and (3) still the same as my first post.

I changed the sentence a little bit as (3) above. Why don't we use "the" good workplace in (3) as the way we use "the " in (1), although we know which place is, which is that's company work place.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(3) Our employees have a good workplace to have their jobs done while working with us.

Why don't we use "the" good workplace in (3) as the way we use "the " in (1), although we know which place is, which is that's company work place.
That's because it's just one example of many good workplaces.

Reactions: 5jj

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Can we use "the" in this sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that sentence and context, no.

Reactions: 5jj

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Could you help me explain?

Why "the space and permission to bring diverse thoughts, passion, and skills to work with them" can be considered specific, but "a good workplace to have their jobs done " can't be considered specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.