Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148]In recent few years, population growth problems is increasing alarmingly. Also, this is especially true in poor, undeveloped countries.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148]=>Over the past few years, the population growth problem has been increasing alarmingly.
Also, this is especially true of poor, undeveloped countries.
=========================
1. Is it possible to replace "In recent few years" with these?
Over the past few years, in the last/past few years
2. Can you say "some problem has been increasing" instead of "getting serious"?[/FONT]

1. 'In recent few years' is wrong, so 'over the past few years' is definitely an improvement.

2. You might hear, 'some problem has been increasing' or something similar, but it's not usually right. It could be acceptable in so far as a problem can be big or small.

What is usually meant is that the size of the problem is increasing, or that its intensity/seriousness is increasing.

In recent years, population growth problems have increased alarmingly. This is especially true in poor, undeveloped countries.
=>Over the past few years, the population growth problem has been increasing alarmingly. This is especially true in poor, undeveloped countries.
=========================
1. Is it possible to replace "In
years" with these?

Over the past few years, in the last/past few years Those are fine.

2. Can you say "
a problem has been increasing" instead of "getting more serious"?
Yes, but we would usually say that the problem has been getting worse.

Does that help?

1. Do you say "underdeveloped or developing countries" more or " undeveloped countries"?
I haven't heard of "undeveloped countries"
2. Can you put in a comma between two adjectives? Isn't it more natural to write "poor undeveloped countries" or "poor and undeveloped countries"?

This is especially true in poor, undeveloped countries.

1. Do you say "underdeveloped or developing countries" more or " undeveloped countries"?
I haven't heard of "undeveloped countries"
2. Can you put in a comma between two adjectives? Isn't it more natural to write "poor undeveloped countries" or "poor and undeveloped countries"?

This is especially true in poor, undeveloped countries.

1) We might once have talked of undeveloped countries, meaning countries with no industries or modern infrastructure, but such countries no longer exist. Developing is generally preferred to underdeveloped.

2) Your final sentence has a comma where it belongs. You could say "and" instead, but the comma is more economical.

Why is 'in recent few years ' wrong? Are recent and few overlapping?

I took 'few' to mean 'a small number of'. As such, it needs an article.

'In recent years', is fine, and so is 'in the past few years'.

Do you mean these are possible? But I couldn’t find their examples by google search.
1 in a recent few years
2 in the recent few years

Do you mean these are possible? But I couldn’t find their examples by google search.
1 in a recent few years
2 in the recent few years

No. Recent can't be used as an adverb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back