Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

Can please tell me which of the sentences below is correct?

Example 1
1. The doctor has treated his wounds and "taken" him to hospital.
2. The doctor has treated his wounds and "has taken" him to hospital.

Example 2
1. The good samaritan has saved him and "asked" him to help others too.
2. The good samaritan has saved him and "has asked" him to help others too.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Example 1: Both are correct, except for the fact that doctors don't normally 'take' people to hospital—they 'send' them, so use sent. There's no reason to repeat the auxiliary has, so I'd advise you not to bother. It doesn't add anything.

Example 2: The difference here is that there is a reason to repeat the auxiliary, which is that the verb asked could be read as a second form verb whereas the verbs taken and sent are third form only.

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Example 1: Both are correct, except for the fact that doctors don't normally 'take' people to hospital—they 'send' them, so use sent. There's no reason to repeat the auxiliary has, so I'd advise you not to bother. It doesn't add anything.

Example 2: The difference here is that there is a reason to repeat the auxiliary, which is that the verb asked could be read as a second form verb whereas the verbs taken and sent are third form only.

Hi jutfrank, how I wish there is a one-for-all rule but clearly there isn't. OK, I have learnt something new about the second and third form verb. I will do further read up on this.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are always rules.

Rule 1: Don't use a word without a reason. You could call this a rule of economy.

Rule 2: Don't omit a word if it will produce a sentence inferior in any way. You could call this a rule of clarity.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me, 1 and 2 in each example mean exactly the same thing. I agree that the second has in each is a pointless waste of keystrokes.

To answer your question more directly, the sentences remain parallel either way. Diagramming the sentences will prove it.

And I like Jutfrank's two rules a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.