Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Hello.

Is the expression "pass the parcel" common in your area?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, as the name of a children's party game.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
I guess no one wants to get the parcel if it's the parcel of blame...

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's not unknown here in Canada, but I'd hardly call it common. I suppose it's a less rowdy version of musical chairs.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of it either. Is it the same thing as what we'd call a game of 'hot potato' in AmE?

Occasionally I'll use hot potato as an icebreaker or filler activity with an ESL class, where everyone has to utter a particular English word or phrase before passing the ball on.

Speaking of rowdy musical chairs - I once tried a modified version of musical chairs with grammar as well. Once. At the time, I was teaching in a classroom with rolling chairs on a hard linoleum floor. In retrospect, I should have known the chairs would slide wildly out of control and bodies would end up on the floor. Fortunately, there was only minimal bruising and nothing broken. This only made the students love the game more, but I firmly denied any requests to continue after the first round. Mind you these were adults, too, not children.

Also - latchcomb!

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Yes, I think they are similar.

"Latchcomb"? You can certainly count me out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In "Pass the parcel", the children's game, a parcel is passed around a group of children while music is playing. When the music stops, whoever is holding the parcel removes one layer of paper. The music then restarts and the same things happen. Each time a layer of paper is removed, the children are closer to the prize/present that's hidden in the centre of the parcel. The aim is to be the person holding the parcel when the music stops, when there is only one layer of paper left to unwrap, so that you take off that last layer of paper and win the thing in the centre. When I was a child, there was just one present, wrapped in multiple layers of paper. Over the intervening years, I understand that it has become popular for a small gift (a single sweet or something similar) to be concealed under each layer of paper, with the main present in the centre being a bigger, more valuable item. As far as I can tell, this is because children didn't like taking off a layer of paper only to find that there was nothing underneath it! For me, that's faintly ridiculous and defeats the object of the game! But I grew up in the days when kids didn't constantly expect to get something for nothing.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of it. Sounds like fun!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I understand that it has become popular for a small gift (a single sweet or something similar) to be concealed under each layer of paper, with the main present in the centre being a bigger, more valuable item. As far as I can tell, this is because children didn't like taking off a layer of paper only to find that there was nothing underneath it!

How about a participation certificate as a sugar-free alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.