Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#46027]
Source : https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/past-perfect-use.html

While studying past perfect in the above site, I came across the underlined part that I couldn't understand well.

1. "[/FONT]
past perfect continuous" doesn't seem to [FONT=&#46027]appear here. It is like "I had been working". What does the author intend to say by this?
2. By [/FONT]
past perfect simple with stative verbs. did the writer mean something like "He had been in London"? Then how are "past perfect continuous" and "past prefect simple" related to each other here?[FONT=&#46027]
====================================================================
[/FONT]
2: Something that started in the past and continued up to another action or time in the past. The past perfect tells us 'how long', just like the present perfect, but this time the action continues up to a point in the past rather than the present. Usually we use 'for + time'. We can also use the past perfect continuous here, so we most often use the past perfect simple with stative verbs.

· When he graduated, he had been in London for six years. (= He arrived in London six years before he graduated and lived there until he graduated, or even longer.)
· On the 20th of July, I'd worked here for three months.
===================================================

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Are you asking us why the author does not mention the past perfect continuous on that page? Maybe because she's using 'past perfect' to mean past perfect simple.

2. Something that started in the past and continued up to another action or time in the past. The past perfect tells us 'how long', just like the present perfect, but this time the action continues up to a point in the past rather than the present. Usually we use 'for + time'. We can also use the past perfect continuous here, so we most often use the past perfect simple with stative verbs.

The passage above is unclear, inaccurate, and poorly phrased (sorry, Seonaid!), especially the parts in red.

What she basically means is this:

We don't tend to use stative verbs (such as be) with a continuous aspect.

When he graduated, he had been being in London for six years. :cross:
When he graduated, he had been in London for six years. :tick:

Status
Not open for further replies.