...perfect for (the) people who don't want to take up too much space in their bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody,
I am reading an article about how to select a good tripod for travel. There is a sentence:

The last option is a gorilla pod, perfect for the people who don't want to take up too much space in their bag and who don't want to lug around a full size tripod.

I think that this sentence refer to any people who don't want to take up too much space in their bag, not specific people (because when I read this sentence I don't know who they are ).
Could you please help me explain why "the people" is used here in stead of "people"

Here is the link of the article:

Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 3

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the definite article is optional as it could go either way - being specific in referring to a photography enthusiasts as a particular group, or referring to people in general.

LE AVOCADO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
being specific in referring to a photography enthusiasts
Sorry, I would like to ask a little off topic, why can definite article "a" go together with plural form "enthusiasts"?

The last option is a gorilla pod, perfect for the people who don't want to take up too much space in their bag and who don't want to lug around a full size tripod.
==>I can understand that why I can omit "the", but I still don't understand why we can consider "the people who don't want"... as specific people.

I have a similar sentence:
I love (the) people who always smile.
==>Here including "the" is wrong because there are no specific people here. Right?
But why the sentence in my 1st post, I can consider "the people who don't want..." as specific.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Sorry, the "a" is a typo; it shouldn't be there.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
perfect for the people who don't want to take up too much space in their bag and who don't want to lug around a full size tripod.
The writer could have dropped "the" and said ... perfect for people who ...

You can read "the" as "those". Perfect for those people who...

I still don't understand why we can consider "the people who don't want"... as specific people.

The writer believes there are some people with those characteristics--not wanting to use too much space and not wanting to carry a full-size tripod. You may not know who they are, but if they exist, they are specific people.

I have a similar sentence:
I love (the) people who always smile.
==>Here including "the" is wrong because there are no specific people here. Right?
Here, it sounds better without "the" because you're being more general. "The" sounds a little more acceptable in the gorilla pod sentence because it was specifically about photography enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.