[Essay] Please check my summary writing and help improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Contrary to popular belief, it is really a tough job for most adults to learn a second language.

"Learning a language is easy. Even a child can do it!"
Most adults who are learning a second language would disagree with this statement. For them, learning a language is a very difficult task. They need hundreds of hours of study and practice, and even this will no guarantee success for every adult language learner.

Also, language learning is not the same as other kinds of learning. That is to say, those who are smart and outstanding in their fields do not necessarily do well in language learning, and visa versa.

Language learning is different from other kinds of learning. Some people who are very intelligent and successful in their fields find it difficult to succeed in language learning. Conversely some people who are successful language learners find it difficult to succeed in other fields.
Language teachers often offer advice to language learners: "Read as much as you can in the new language." "Practice speaking the language every day." "Live with people who speak the language." "Don't translate - try to think in the new language." "Learn as a child would learn; play with the language."

Language learning research suggests that successful language learners usually have something in common. All of them are always learning independently and positively with a clear purpose.

But what does a successful language learner do? Language learning research shows that successful language learners are similar in many ways.

First of all, successful language learners are independent learners. They do not depend on the book or the teacher; they discover their own way to learn the language, Instead of waiting for the teacher to explain, they try to find the patterns and the rules for themselves. They are good guessers who look for clues and form their own conclusions. When they guess wrong, they guess again. They try to learn from their mistakes.
Successful language learning is active learning. Therefore, Successful learners do not wait for a chance to use the language; they look for such a chance. They find people who speak the language and they ask these people to correct them when they make a mistake. They will try anything to communicate. They are not afraid to repeat what they hear or to say strange things; they are willing to make mistakes and try again. When communication is difficult, they can accept information what is inexact or incomplete. It is more important for them to learn to think in the language than to know the meaning of very word.
Finally, successful language learners are learners with a purpose. They want to learn the language because they are interested in the language and the people who speak it. It is necessary for them to learn the language in order to communicate with these people and to learn from them.

The above is my attempt at summarizing the passage. These sentences in bold above is the summary sentences for each part of the passage. Please check it and help me improve it. Many thanks.

Contrary to popular belief, it is really a tough job for most adults to learn a second language. Also, language learning is not the same as other kinds of learning. That is to say, those who are smart and outstanding in their fields do not necessarily do well in language learning, and visa versa. Finally, the research suggests that successful language learners usually have something in common. All of them are always learning independently and positively with a clear purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Contrary to [STRIKE]popular[/STRIKE] common belief, it is really[STRIKE] a[/STRIKE] tough [STRIKE]job[/STRIKE] for most adults to learn a second language. Also, [STRIKE]language[/STRIKE] learning a language is not the same as [STRIKE]other kinds of[/STRIKE] learning other things. [STRIKE]That is to say,[/STRIKE] Those who are smart and outstanding in their fields do not necessarily do well in language learning, and visa versa. Finally, the research suggests that successful language learners usually have something in common. All of them [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] always learn[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] independently and positively with a clear purpose.(I think the present sense is better)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
tedmc, "Contrary to popular belief" is a natural (and almost set) phrase in BrE.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

The above is my attempt at summarizing the passage. The [STRIKE]se[/STRIKE] sentences in bold above [STRIKE]is the[/STRIKE] are my summary sentences for each part of the passage. Please check it and help me improve it. Many thanks.

Contrary to popular belief, it is really a tough job for most adults to learn a second language. Also, language learning is not the same as other kinds of learning. That is to say, those who are smart and outstanding in their fields do not necessarily do well when trying to learn another [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] language, [STRIKE]learning,[/STRIKE] and visa versa. Finally, the research suggests that successful language learners usually have something in common. [STRIKE]All of them are always learning[/STRIKE] They tend to be independent learners [STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE] and are often determined, proactive [STRIKE]positively[/STRIKE] and with a clear purpose.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can you say "it is a tough job to learn a second language"? I thought learning a language is more than a job; it is a life-long learning process.

Yes, "contrary to popular belief" is common. "Popular" means "well-liked". I find it a bit strange that beliefs can be 'well-liked"
Reversing the word order, we say: it is commonly believed that....or it is a commonly held belief that... I don't think you can say: it is popularly believed that...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Job" here can be taken to mean "task" or pretty much anything that has to be achieved/someone wants to achieve, so I find "Learning a foreign language is a tough/hard job" quite acceptable.

"Popular" has another meaning - "relating to the people, generally". Have a look at the multiple definitions here, particularly #5.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Lots of adults feel it’s hard to learn a second language well. Besides, learning language needs right ways and is not like learning others. You should read widely, practice language more often and so on. To succeed, you should depend on yourself and learn actively. What’s more, finding opportunities to use it makes a great difference to you. In this way, you can enjoy the language and talk to people easily.

The above was written by one of my students. And the following was the version after I proofread my student's work.
Please check the following and help me further improve it. Many thanks in advance.

Lots of adults feel it’s hard to learn a second language well. Besides, learning a language needs right ways and is not like learning [STRIKE]others [/STRIKE]other things. [STRIKE]You should read widely, practice language more often and so on. [/STRIKE]Those who are smart and outstanding in their fields do not necessarily do well when trying to learn another language, and visa versa. Finally, the research suggests that successful language learners usually have something in common.[STRIKE]To succeed,[/STRIKE] You should depend on yourself and learn actively with a clear purpose.[STRIKE] What’s more, finding opportunities to use it makes a great difference to you. In this way, you can enjoy the language and talk to people easily.
[/STRIKE]

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... learning a language needs right ways" is not natural. Try to find another way of saying it.
It's "vice​ versa".

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"... learning a language needs right ways" is not natural. Try to find another way of saying it.
It's "vice versa".

What about "...learning a language is complex and not like learning other things."?

or

What about "...learning a language is complex and not the same as learning other things."?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Learning a language is a slow process which needs proper coaching to be effective.

There shouldn't be a definite article before research.

should depend on yourself - should be self-reliant

Status
Not open for further replies.