[Essay] Please help me proofread and polish this speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please help me proofread and polish this speech.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
It’s my honor to be here today. Over the next two to three minutes you are going to hear about my solution to finding a balance between work to work.
Firstly, you should make a list of the tasks you’re going to accomplish and prioritize your work carefully. As we all know, we possess the limited energy throughout the day so allocating time reasonably is essential to us. Next, you can set a time for each work and insist on your work schedule. By the way, don’t forget to leave break time for yourself. Actually, most people have gone through heavy work and you’re not alone. So the key point, I think, is your attitude to work. Do your work in an enjoyable manner whenever possible and try to transform boring moments of your routine into precious ones. If you treat your work with patience and enthusiasm, it won’t be a tedious job. As time goes by, you will form a positive attitude to work.
At last, manage your daily life well and don’t stay up even though you haven’t finished your work today, because you may feel more tired tomorrow if you sleep too late. Make good use of your time and combine exertion with hard work. Then you can adapt to the busy life from work to work.
That’s all. Thank you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The above is a kind of writing practice for my students. It presumes that your school speech club is looking for ways to grow and recruiting new members, and you are very interested and sign up for it. Now there will be an interview for you. You should prepare a short passage tailored to the topic given(The topic is: I have a hard time finding a balance between work to work.) and make a speech before the judges in interview. The speech above is my own version. It serves as a possible version for my students. I hope someone would be so kind as to help me perfect it. Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It’s my honor to be here today. Over the next two to three minutes you are going to hear about my solution to finding a balance between work to work. Firstly, you should make a list of the tasks you’re going to accomplish and prioritize your work carefully. As we all know, we possess the limited energy throughout the day so allocating time reasonably is essential to us. Next, you can set a time for each work and insist on your work schedule. By the way, don’t forget to leave break time for yourself. Actually, most people have gone through heavy work and you’re not alone. So the key point, I think, is your attitude to work. Do you work in an enjoyable manner whenever possible and try to transform many boring moments of your routine into precious moments?If you treat your work with patience and enthusiasm, it won’t be a tedious job. As time goes by, you will form a positive attitude to work.
At last, manage your daily life well and don’t stay up even though you haven’t finished your work today, because you may feel more tired tomorrow if you sleep too late. Make good use of your time and combine exertion with hard work. Then you can adapt to the busy life from work to work.
That’s all. Thank you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The above is a kind of writing practice for my students. It presumes that your school speech club is looking for ways to grow and recruiting new members, and you are very interested and sign up for it. Now there will be an interview for you. You should prepare a short passage tailored to the topic given(The topic is: I have a hard time finding a balance between work to work.) and make a speech before the judges in interview. The speech above is my own version. It serves as a possible version for my students. I hope someone would be so kind as to help me perfect it. Thanks a million in advance.

Hi rodgers
I think the underlined parts of the text need to be rephrased to make them clearer and easier to be understood. For example, I do not understand what "balance between work to work is".

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi tedmc. "A balance between work and work" is a kind of ironic rhetoric. Here is the picture.QQ图片20170926222726.jpg

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
rodgers,
You have written it as "balance between work to work". In any case, you usually try to balance between the opposites rather than the likes.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would like to use "to listen to " to replace "hear about". As for the sentence "we possess the limited energy throughout the day so allocating time reasonably is essential to us.", maybe I should say: we have limited hours each day, so arranging our time scientifically is essential to us. As to "insist on your work schedule", it's better to say "stick to your work schedule." "leave break time for yourself" can be changed into " take a break from your busy life".

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
rodgers,
You have written it as "balance between work to work". In any case, you usually try to balance between the opposites rather than the likes.
I can't agree more. But the fact is that you should write a speech according to the picture. So what's your advice, tedmc?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The second version:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It’s my honor to be here today. Over the next two to three minutes you are going to listen to my solution to finding a balance between work and work.
Firstly, you should make a list of the tasks you’re going to accomplish and prioritize your work carefully. As we all know, we have limited hours each day, so arranging our time scientifically is essential to us. Next, you can set a time for each work and stick to your work schedule. By the way, don’t forget to take a break from your busy life. Actually, most people have the same problem so you’re not alone. In fact, the key point, I think, is your attitude to work. Do your work in an enjoyable manner whenever possible and try to turn every moment of your work into a precious one. If you treat your task with patience and enthusiasm, it won’t be a tedious job. As time goes by, you will form a positive attitude to work.Finally, manage your daily life well and don’t stay up late even though you haven’t finished your work today, because you may feel more tired tomorrow if you do so. Make good use of your time and combine work with pleasure. Then you will find a balance between work and work.
That’s all. Thank you.

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The third version:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Good morning, everyone. It’s my honor to speak here today. In the following two or three minutes, I'm going to talk something about how to keep a balance between work and work.
Most people have a problem. That is, it's hard for them to find a balance between work and work. Actually, there is a way to handle it. Firstly, you should make a list of the tasks you’re going to accomplish and prioritize your work carefully. As we all know, we have limited hours each day, so arranging our time scientifically is essential to us all. Next, you can set a time for each work and stick to your schedule. By the way, don’t forget to take a break from your busy life. In fact, the key point, I think, is your attitude to work. Do your work in an enjoyable manner whenever possible and try to turn every moment of your work into a precious one. If you treat your task with patience and enthusiasm, it won’t be a tedious job because everything you do will give you a little bit of joy. As time goes by, you will form a positive attitude to work. Finally, manage your daily life well and don’t stay up late even though you haven’t finished your work today, because you may feel very tired tomorrow if you sleep too little. Make good use of your time and combine work with pleasure. Then you will gradually find a balance between work and work.
That’s all. Thank you.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

The above is a kind of writing practice for my students. It presumes that your school speech club is looking for ways to grow and recruiting new members, and you are very interested and sign up for it. Now there will be an interview for you. You should prepare a short passage tailored to the topic given(The topic is: I have a hard time finding a balance between work and work.) and make a speech before the judges in the interview. The speech above is my own version. It serves as a possible version for my students. I hope someone would be so kind as to help me perfect it. Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The third version:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

It’s my honor to be here today. In the following two or three minutes, I'm going to give my opinion on how to keep a balance between work and work.
I am honoured to be here today, to share with you for a few minutes, my thoughts on how to strike a balance between work and leisure.

Most people have the same problem. That is, it's hard for them to find a balance between work and work.
Most people face the same issue in their lives - to find a balance between work and leisure.

Actually, there is a way to handle it. Firstly, you should make a list of the tasks you’re going to accomplish and[STRIKE] prioritize your work carefully[/STRIKE] sort them out according to priority.

As we all know, we have limited hours each day, so arranging our time scientifically is essential to us all.
We have limited hours each day to carry out our tasks, so managing your time systematically(and effectively) is essential.

Next, you can set a time for each work and stick to your schedule.
Allocate a time(slot) for each piece of work to be carried out and stick to the schedule.

By the way, don't forget to take a break from your busy [STRIKE]life[/STRIKE]
schedule.

To be continued.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
. In fact, the key point, I think, is your attitude to work.

Which brings us to the key point - your attitude towards work.

Do your work in an enjoyable manner whenever possible and try to turn every moment of your work into a precious one.

You should try to like your job, enjoy doing it and make the time spent at work worthwhile.

If you treat your task with patience and enthusiasm, it won’t be a tedious job because everything you do will give you a little bit of joy.

When you approach your work with patience and enthusiasm, you would not feel it as being tedious since it brings you joy and satisfaction.

As time goes by, you will [STRIKE]form[/STRIKE] develop a positive attitude to
wards work.

Finally, manage your daily life well and don’t stay up late even though you haven’t finished your work today, because you may feel very tired tomorrow if you sleep too little.
Make good use of your time and combine work with pleasure. Then you will gradually find a balance between work and work.

Lastly, you will achieve a happy and healthy life by managing your time and your working life well and adopting healthy habits like having adequate sleep and striking a balance between work and leisure.

_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

The above is [STRIKE]a kind of [/STRIKE]intended as a writing practice for my students.

[STRIKE]It presumes that [/STRIKE]Your school speech club is looking for ways to grow and [STRIKE]recruiting [/STRIKE] recruit new members, and you are very interested and sign up for it. Now there will be an interview for you. You should prepare a short [STRIKE]passage tailored[/STRIKE][STRIKE] to[/STRIKE] write-up on the topic given(The topic is: I have a hard time finding a balance between work and work.) and make a
mock speech before the judges[STRIKE] in the interview[/STRIKE]. The speech above is my own version. It serves as a [STRIKE]possible version[/STRIKE] example speech for my students. I hope someone would be so kind as to help me perfect it. Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It’s [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] an honor for me to be here today. Over the next two to three minutes, you are going to hear about my solution to finding a balance between work [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and work!
Firstly, you should make a list of the tasks you’re [STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] hoping/planning to accomplish and prioritize your work carefully. As we all know, we have [STRIKE]possess the[/STRIKE] limited energy and a limited amount of time in any one [STRIKE]throughout the[/STRIKE] day, so allocating time to our tasks appropriately [STRIKE]reasonably[/STRIKE] is essential for success. [STRIKE]to us.[/STRIKE] Next, you can set a time for each [STRIKE]work[/STRIKE] task and [STRIKE]insist on[/STRIKE] stick to your work schedule. By the way, don’t forget to leave break time for yourself. Actually, [STRIKE]most[/STRIKE] many people have to grapple with [STRIKE]gone through[/STRIKE] a heavy work schedule; [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] you’re not alone. So the key point, I think, is your attitude to work. [STRIKE]Do[/STRIKE] Try as much as possible to enjoy your work [STRIKE]in an enjoyable manner whenever possible[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]try[/STRIKE] to transform boring moments of your routine into precious ones. If you treat your work with patience and enthusiasm, it won’t [STRIKE]be a[/STRIKE] feel as tedious. [STRIKE]job. As time goes by,[/STRIKE] With time, you will form a positive attitude to work.
[STRIKE] At last,[/STRIKE] Finally, manage your daily life well and don’t stay up late even [STRIKE]though[/STRIKE] when you haven’t finished your daily work, [STRIKE]today,[/STRIKE] because you may feel more tired [STRIKE]tomorrow[/STRIKE] the next day if you [STRIKE]sleep too[/STRIKE] go to bed late. Make good use of your time and do your best. [STRIKE]combine exertion with hard work. Then you can adapt to the busy life from work to work.
That’s all.[/STRIKE] Thank you.

The above is a kind of writing practice for my students. It presumes that your school [STRIKE]speech[/STRIKE] speaking club is looking for ways to grow and recruit [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] new members, and you are very interested in joining it. [STRIKE]and sign up for it. Now there will be[/STRIKE] However, you need to pass an interview before you can join, [STRIKE]for you. You should[/STRIKE] and you must prepare a short [STRIKE]passage[/STRIKE] speech [STRIKE]tailored to[/STRIKE] on the topic given (the topic is: I have a hard time finding a balance between work [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and work). [STRIKE]and make a speech before the judges in interview.[/STRIKE] The speech above is my own version. It serves as a possible version for my students. I hope someone would be so kind as to help me perfect it. Thanks a million in advance.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
teechar
Is "balance between work and work" okay?
I find it strange to "balance two of the same thing", as I mentioned earlier. I don't see the point being illustrated as such in the rest of the text.
Another possibility is "work and personal life balance" or "work-life balance".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work–life_balance

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I see your point, tedmc. However, the OP has already clarified the context in which he intends to use it: an exceptionally busy life and a seemingly unmanageable work schedule. I think it's okay under such circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.