Please suggest correction. summary of an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezafo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Electricity power drawn up by not-working equipment

The article is revealing not only interesting to know but an altering information about all the electric equipment and devices we use them every day in our daily life. The information goes through the details of how much electrically can a device draw while it’s not really working. As we continue reading we get surprised to know that the amount of power drawn up by an idle device equals to a certain amount of electricity used by a household in Africa. Then the article furnish us with some tips and advice how to avoid letting our devices draw such amount of power which it’s not seen or felt, but in fact it is wasted and it adds up our electricity bill at the end of each month.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Electricity [STRIKE]power[/STRIKE] drawn up by [STRIKE]not-working[/STRIKE] inactive equipment

The article is revealing [STRIKE]not only[/STRIKE] in that it provides interesting [STRIKE]to know but an altering[/STRIKE] information about all the electric equipment and devices we use [STRIKE]them every day[/STRIKE] in our daily life. [STRIKE]The information goes through the[/STRIKE] It gives details of how much electrically [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] a device can draw while it’s not really working. [STRIKE]As we continue reading we get surprised to know that[/STRIKE] The amount of power drawn up by an idle device equals to a [STRIKE]certain[/STRIKE] the amount of electricity used by a household in Africa. [STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] The article [STRIKE]furnish us with[/STRIKE] presents some tips and advice on how to avoid letting our devices silently waste all that power which [STRIKE]draw such amount of power which it’s not seen or felt, but in fact it is wasted and it[/STRIKE] adds [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] to our electricity bill at the end of each month.

Rezafo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Thanks a lot, and here under goes my comments:

1- By crossing out "alerting", this is not what I wanted to say. This verb is necessary because I - as a writer who is speaking his mind - have this message in my mind and I do want it be in the text; (Information given in the article are both interesting and at the same time alerting).

2- Why in the line 3 this part should be omitted "As we ............ that"

3- Doesn't " a certain amount of " and " the amount of " sound the same? Why should one be preferred over the other one?

4- To furnish sb with sth, is quite meaningful and we have this usage. [ https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/furnish ]

5- I really liked the replacement of "Silently waste all that power which" with what I've written. :up:

6- Why no "up" after "add" in the last sentence. Knowing that, if we don't waste we will certianly have a bill with a certain charge, but when we waste electricity, in fact we will use more and consequently our bill will be added up; barbecue it has already an mount in the bill and some extra charges are going to be added to the final amount in the bill.

Thanks for your time.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1- By crossing out "alerting", [STRIKE]this is not[/STRIKE] you've changed what I wanted to say. This verb is necessary because I - as a writer who is speaking his mind - have this message in my mind, and I do want it be in the text—that the information given in the article [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is both interesting and at the same time alerting.
I have no idea what you mean by "altering". Can you explain it using other words?

2- Why in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] line 3 should this part [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] be omitted? "As we ............ that"
If you want to included it say, "As we continue reading, we are surprised to find out that, etc."

3- Doesn't "a certain amount of" and "the amount of" [STRIKE]sound[/STRIKE] mean the same? Why should one be preferred over the other one?
No, they do not mean the same. "A certain amount of" is not specific.

4- To furnish sb with sth, is quite meaningful and we have this usage. [ https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/furnish ]
I gave you a more straightforward version, but "furnish" is possible. Say, "the article furnishes us with, etc."

6- Why is there no "up" after "add" in the last sentence?
"Add up" (no object), "Add up to", and "add" are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.