Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the following sentences, on what position I can placed the adverb 'kindly':

1) You are requested to kindly reply sharp.

2) You are requested to reply sharp kindly.

The use of 'kindly' is very common in Indian English but not elsewhere.

I'd say 'Please reply as soon as possible'.

If you must use 'kindly', put it at the beginning:

'Kindly reply at your earliest convenience'.

Don't say 'reply sharp' — or even 'reply sharply'.

Last edited:
1) You are requested to kindly reply sharp.

NOT A TEACHER

Barman, if you wish to use your original sentence, I believe that the usual place for "kindly" is after the word "are." Furthermore, please remember that Americans would not use the word "sharp" in such a sentence.

I would suggest, therefore, a sentence like: "You are kindly requested to reply at your earliest convenience."

How about: Please give us a timely reply?

It is not just in India that "kindly" is used; the practice is prevalent in Asia.

NOT A TEACHER

... please remember that Americans would not use the word "sharp" in such a sentence.
Native English-speakers of any nationality would not use 'sharp' in such a sentence.

The only time "sharp" would come into it would be in a sentence such as "I want you to do it sharpish!" We wouldn't use "sharply" there or say "Do it in a sharp time" or anything similar. It doesn't really mean "Do it quickly" there. It means "I want you to start doing it pretty much immediately".

The only time "sharp" would come into it would be in a sentence such as "I want you to do it sharpish!" We wouldn't use "sharply" there or say "Do it in a sharp time" or anything similar. It doesn't really mean "Do it quickly" there. It means "I want you to start doing it pretty much immediately".
Sharpish!

That's a new one on me. Thanks!

I'm a little surprised that he used "reply" and not the Indian English "revert."

NOT A TEACHER

Barman, if you wish to use your original sentence, I believe that the usual place for "kindly" is after the word "are." Furthermore, please remember that Americans would not use the word "sharp" in such a sentence.

I would suggest, therefore, a sentence like: "You are kindly requested to reply at your earliest convenience."

I knew that kindly requested implies kindness on the part of the person making the request, but the speaker evidently asks for it of the person spoken to. Therefore, 'You are kindly requested' is wrong.

I knew that kindly requested implies kindness on the part of the person making the request, but the speaker evidently asks for it of the person spoken to. Therefore, 'You are kindly requested' is wrong.

It doesn't really imply anything of the kind, it is purely formulaic. As a British English speaker I would interpret the use to mean something like "my patience is running out" and would only use it in a business letter in that way.

It doesn't really imply anything of the kind, it is purely formulaic. As a British English speaker I would interpret the use to mean something like "my patience is running out" and would only use it in a business letter in that way.
That's like please in American English. Some Brits think we're rude because we don't use it enough. But for us it expresses impatience: Would you please get off that phone? You've been talking for an hour!

(We do say "Thank you," though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back