Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is from the workbook from Upstream Proficiency by Virginia Evans and Jenny Dooley.

Could you have a look at the screenshot.

I can't cach the idea what is professional security. And why a degree in medicine can give one a security.

Your help would be highnly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2022-03-12_16-25.png
    2022-03-12_16-25.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 10

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A professional qualification leads to higher income. "Professional security" means the kind of economic security provided by that higher income. I think it also entails a reduced likelihood of losing one's job.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is from the workbook from Upstream Proficiency by Virginia Evans and Jenny Dooley. Could you have a look at the screenshot?

I can't catch the idea what is I don't understand the meaning of "professional security" . And or why how a degree in medicine can give one a (no article here) security.

Your help would be highnly highly appreciated. That's lovely to know but we prefer that you don't thank us for anything in advance - after we help you, click on the "Thank" button to indicate your gratitude.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A degree in medicine is a highly sought-after qualification which would provide (not necessarily guarantee) one with a good income and stable job, more so than say, a general degree.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you tell me whether you would say like that or you just guess what the expression means?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Neither. I wouldn't say it that way and I didn't have to guess. I have asked you in the past: do you have to guess or do you know for certain whether something is correct Russian or not. It's a rhetorical question. Of course you know. We all know rhe basic grammar our mother tongue perfectly.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are potentially ambiguous sentences in most languages. The meaning of this sentence is clear.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you tell me if you would say it like that or if you would have to guess what the expression means?
At first I thought that what is meant by "professional security" is security you have to pay for. Now I know it means security in a person's career. (Is that really a thing?)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think "professional security" is a common collocation. "Job/career security" are more common and easily understood.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A degree in medicine will lead directly to a career. A degree in gender studies has no such direct career path. If you want professional security, choose a degree that will get you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.