Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
1. Why can't I write:
"Each year they are earning more and more money on presents and gift certificates."
It is a change, progress, something like "My English is getting better"

2. Why can't I write:
"She is always forgetting about the presents for us"
Probably he is angry, this sentence reminds me: "You are always making such a noise".

bYSN7K6
bYSN7K6
bYSN7K6.png

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see you posted the same thread on WordReference forums.

'Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.'
(teechar)

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I see you posted the same thread on WordReference forums.

'Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.'
(teechar)

Ok - here is my question without answers on my questions:
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/questions-about-answers-in-my-grammar-test.3694823/

Please help :(

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The second sentence of the text is a simple fact that supports the opening sentence. For that reason, present simple is used. Using present continuous to describe an ongoing trend would be out of place.

With the last sentence, there's no reason to assume that the writer is angry or annoyed. The present simple is used to state a fact about a recurring event. Think of the sentence as saying what happens every year.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you very much @jutfrank. One more question because I don't understand - why we can write:
"
More and more people are becoming vegetarian."
but not:
"Each year they are earning more and more money on presents and gift certificates."
??

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much @jutfrank. One more question because I don't understand - why we can write:
"
but not:
??

The first is a trend. The second is a simple statement of fact. (The numbers can prove you right or wrong.)

Each year they earm more money on presents and gift certificates.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"
but not:
??

Remember that the point of exercises like this one is to select which sentence fits the text best.

Your sentence Each year, they are earning more and more money on presents and gift certificates is correct grammatically, but it doesn't fit the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.