Questions about Punctuation, indented paragraph breaks, and capitalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvery811

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I'm trying to rewrite the following paragraph using correct punctuation, indented paragraph breaks, and capitalization.

This is the original paragraph:
Are you kidding me Asher exclaimed I already know you will never understand me Yasmeet replied well if you asked me to understand I could at least try but no you just announce to the world that you are leaving for australia and taking the dog with you You don't even care about the dog Yasmeet snapped and turned away.

My edit:
“Are you kidding me? “ Asher exclaimed. “I already know you will never understand me,” Yasmeet replied. Well, if you asked me to understand, I could at least try, but no, you just announce to the world that you are leaving for Australia, and taking the dog with you. “You don't even care about the dog,” Yasmeet snapped and turned away.

PS: This is not an assignment. I'm just trying to learn punctuation. I really hope someone could explain and check this paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm trying to rewrite the following paragraph using correct punctuation, indented paragraph breaks, and capitalization.

This is the original paragraph:
Are you kidding me Asher exclaimed I already know you will never understand me Yasmeet replied well if you asked me to understand I could at least try but no you just announce to the world that you are leaving for australia and taking the dog with you You don't even care about the dog Yasmeet snapped and turned away.

My edit:
"Are you kidding me?" Asher exclaimed. “I already know you will never understand me,” Yasmeet replied. Well, if you asked me to understand, I could at least try, but no, you just announce to the world that you are leaving for Australia (no comma here) and taking the dog with you. “You don't even care about the dog,” Yasmeet snapped, and turned away.

PS: This is not an assignment. I'm just trying to learn punctuation. I really hope someone [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] can [STRIKE]explain and[/STRIKE] check this paragraph and explain any corrections.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

You did a good job with that piece. I have made a few corrections above.

1) You left a space between the question mark and the closing quotation marks. There should be no space there.
2) I removed the comma after "for Australia" because it was unnecessary. Yasmeet announced two things and they were connected by "and".
3) I added a comma after "snapped" because when I first read it, I read "Yasmeet snapped and turned", only spotting "away" afterwards (as it's the final word), meaning that I had to rethink my reading of it.

Note that I have left commas inside punctuation marks - that is the American convention. Because you used "capitalization" in your opening sentence, I assumed that you wanted to use American style. In British English, the commas would go after the closing quotation marks because they are not part of the quote.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To follow the convention of most publishers, every time a different character speaks, start a new paragraph (with or without a line break).*

"Are you kidding me?" Asher exclaimed.

“I already know you will never understand me,” Yasmeet replied.

"Well, if you asked me to understand, I could at least try, but no, you just announce to the world that you are leaving for Australia and taking the dog with you."

“You don't even care about the dog,” Yasmeet snapped, and turned away.

* Some publishers indent – some don't. Just be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.