Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

In the 1964 movie Mission to Venice Michael in one scene tells his friend Giuseppe to follow two men.

A little later Michael asks Giuseppe, "Did you follow the one in the white suit?” and he answers, “Yes, yes, but it was a real expedition.” In a few moments he adds, “They're a regular gang. They live in a palace, a real fortress.”

What is the meaning of "regular" here? Is it "real", "genuine", "absolute" implying that they are not just two thugs, but members of a larger (and probably well-organized group/organization)?

14. Informal.
  • real or genuine; down-to-earth; decent: a regular guy.
  • absolute; thoroughgoing: a regular rascal.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I feel that slang usage of "regular" is rather dated and outmoded. I certainly recognize it but I am over 75 years of age. Perhaps some of our younger teachers would weigh in here. @jutfrank @emsr2d2 @Skrej

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I feel that slang usage of "regular" is rather dated and outmoded. I certainly recognize it but I am over 75 years of age. Perhaps some of our younger teachers would weigh in here. @jutfrank @emsr2d2 @Skrej
Now that I've stopped laughing at the concept of my being a "younger teacher", I'll answer that! I'm certainly familiar with the usage, although my brain didn't immediately go to it when I heard the quote in post #1. However, the second informal definition fits perfectly.
As far as current usage goes, I can give you an example of my using it! I recently caught a boy spraying graffiti on the back wall of our building at work (for the third time in as many weeks). When I opened the back door and saw what he was doing, I said "Really? You again? You're a regular little sh*t, aren't you?" He smirked and ran off.
(To be clear, I used "regular" to mean "absolute/complete"; I wasn't suggesting that he regularly graffitis walls, even though that appears to be true!)