Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
London is a place where I want to live
London is where I want to live

In the first sentence we can remove the pronoun because it is defining and referring to the object of the relative clause.
In the second, I don't understand how we would explain this away since typically the verb in the first clause is followed by a noun or relative pronoun. For example,

• I'm looking for a secretary who / that can use a computer well.
  • She loves the chocolate (which / that) I bought.
  • The bike (which / that) I loved was stolen.

So even though our sentence...''London is where I want to live'' is obviously correct, what type of sentence is this? How do we categorize it?

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
In the first sentence we can remove the pronoun because it is defining and referring to the object of the relative clause.
I think you mean "relative adverb".

In the second, I don't understand how we would explain this away since typically the verb in the first clause is followed by a noun or relative pronoun.

(post #2)

(I prefer the term "indefinite relative adverb". "Where" is also an indefinite relative adverb in your sentence.)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No. Firstly, where is not a pronoun. Secondly, where doesn't refer to anything and isn't the object of live, which is intransitive.

In the second, I don't understand how we would explain this away since typically the verb in the first clause is followed by a noun or relative pronoun. For example,

• I'm looking for a secretary who / that can use a computer well.
  • She loves the chocolate (which / that) I bought.
  • The bike (which / that) I loved was stolen.

Which verbs are you talking about?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

I agree with jutfrank: "where" is not a pronoun. It's best classified as a preposition ("in/at some place").

In your first example, "where" is not the object of the relative clause. Its function is that of adjunct of place.

In your second example "where I want to live" is a subordinate interrogative clause (embedded question), where the meaning is:

"London is the answer to the question 'Where do I want to live?'"