Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "remembrance and soul gathering, an instance of grace", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

In years to come, when I’ll pass by her building again, I’ll stop and look upstairs. I don’t know why I’ll look upstairs or what I’ll be looking for each time. But I know I’ll look upstairs, because this purposeless looking upstairs in this kind of dazed and balmy mood I’m in right now is itself remembrance and soul gathering, an instance of grace. I’ll stand there awhile and remember so many things: the night of the party, the night I thought I’d done the right thing by saying goodbye without lingering too long outside her lobby, the night I first felt my nights were numbered here.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Seventh Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now, the protagonist thinks how he would remember Clara in the years to come.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
By "remembrance," I think it means that he would remember... But I wonder what "soul gathering" and "an instance of grace" might mean here. o_O

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
this purposeless looking upstairs in this kind of dazed and balmy mood I’m in right now is itself remembrance and soul gathering, an instance of grace.
Remembrance - It'd help him retain his memories of her.
Soul gathering - This is a difficult one to explain but I think what he means is that it'd be good for him in a spiritual sense, for his soul. He'll be able to gather the pieces of his soul together, if that makes sense.
An instance of grace - I think he means it'll be a moment when he appreciates the finer points of the relationship, the graciousness of it.

This sort of language is meant to convey a general idea and his sentiments more than any specific meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Barque,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So it means that it will help him remember her (=remembrance), and help him gather the pieces of his soul (=soul gathering), and it will be a moment in which he experiences grace, graciousness of remembering and gathering his wayward pieces of souls (=an instance of grace).
I truly appreciate your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.