Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Hello.

I am 59 and I think I have a very good command of my native English language...and its colloquial and grammatical foibles.

I received a letter about a driving offence. I have to go to court.

The letter from the police says..

A. "You will now require to appear at court on ... Date ..."

I would have written...

B. "You are now required to appear at court on ... Date ..."

Which is correct?

First, the police should be getting this right, I will assume that they are and that A is formally correct.

I would have written B, but my English is a bit informal and sloppy these days. In Scotland, we sometimes say things in Scottish English, which is a bit different from English English if you know what I mean.

Please can someone satisfy my need to know, so that I can move on with my life 🤔. 🙂.

A or B?
Maybe A and B equally valid?

Thanks.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

mallan1000

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Thanks. My Scottish father was an English teacher. I hope the court has a better command of justice than the police administration do of grammar.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please can someone satisfy my need to know, so that I can move on with my life 🤔. 🙂.
Your instinct is right, as 5jj says. But the form 'you require to' is growing in (ill-informed) popularity (presumably because a first draft had 'you must' and someone in a suit wanted a euphemistic periphrasis). I think 'moving on with your life' will not involve nit-picking in court🙂 .

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS My geography master (55-odd years ago was a Scot, and he definitely used this form, My grandfather was also (and a stickler for correctness too). I think he may have used it, but he died before I was a reliable observer of grammatical niceties.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They probably erroneously think that because 'require' and 'need' are synonymous when followed by a noun (I require/need money for this parking meter), the same applies when followed by an infinitive.

mallan1000

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Thanks for your replies. Using Scottish English has never drawn me any criticism, ever (said he, me, sanctimoniously). My PhD supervisor, however, was a "supper" man and couldn't accept I said I was going for my tea 😆. He condemned my PhD thesis as being written in "funny English" for which I have never forgiven him. I still don't know what he meant, no one else thought that. This person greeted me on my first day of my research in London, thus : "Congratulations on getting a First. We thought you were a good 2-1". 😱 . 😆.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should send them a summons to appear before the grammar judge.
😊