Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
England
Hello, I would like to write a sentence about how saturated fat has been revived, but I would like to use the word renaissance. I am not sure what is the correct form of saying it.
For example: "Based on the recent review of xxx, the saturated fat has seen its renaissance and it has become celebrated by many who simply could not give up their beloved animal products." - meaning that it has become popular again and not a scary stuff anymore. Would it be OK like that or is there another form of saying it correctly?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps "it's experienced a renaissance"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Has it though? Just the other day I was reading how some health body in the US was advising that about 80% of people should be on statins (albeit a lowerer of cholesterol, but over-eating saturated fat doesn't help).
Language point: perhaps "renaissance" is too strong a word? Is this really happening in Europe?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Hela77

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
England
Hi, to answer the factual content of tie dietary trends: what people are discussing in the media and following in their lives is completely different to what 'some health body in the USA' advocates, being influenced by pharmaco-lobby and food industry lobby. The Paleo, low-carb and similar approaches are focusing on animal products and with them the saturated fat comes along. Health bodies and government policies are always behind the new research, needing to accummulate a lot of evidence and even then it is not 100% sure that the evidence has not been distorted by those who funded the research and interfered with good intentions of the few in the government. I am not saying that too much of sat fat is good, I am saying what is the non-official mainstream fashion right now and it is being talked about a lot, being even promoted by health professionals. Since I understand the biochemistry, I give them credits in some aspects of this, but I do not completely agree.

Nonetheless, I still need to know what would be the best way of saying that saturated fat and low-carbohydrate approach has become fashionable and it is gaining more and more supporters, adding their own positive experience following this dietary pattern.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about saturated fat is making a comeback?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Comeback" is good, but I don't think it ever went away.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Why not, "in vogue"?

Hela77

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
England
"Comeback" is good, but I don't think it ever went away.

I meant this on a larger scale. People got crazy about low-fat in the past few decades, fooled by wrong policies, but now the opposite seems to get back into the mainstream awareness and people ditch the margarines and reach for the classics - butter. Yet, there are still plenty of vegetarian and vegan enthusiasts, even raw vegans, consuming tonnes of fresh produce each year... but the saturated fat is not seen as scary as it used to be, especially of the plant sources, such as coconut oil.

Hela77

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
England
Hi, I have another bit with which I would like to get some help. As writing the article, I try to spice it up a bit, so that is why I seek such expressions.
Please can someone correct a mistake if there is one in this sentence: "The 'protein' has become a new spell of the salvation because it tastes great and it has a high satiety effect, hence promoting a weight loss. "
As I have a poor writing style, in contrast to my factual and scientific academic vocabulary, I rely on you, guys. As many others, I also tend to translate the sayings of my home country, but this is not always useful in other foreign languages.
Thanks so far :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please ask this new question in a new thread with the title spell of the salvation.

Please don't use :) instead of a full stop to end a sentence. If you want insert a smiley use the :) feature in the toolbar.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do please start a new thread for a new question, but how about saying that protein has been given a new lease of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.