Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
hi out there, i wish to ask if these sentences are right or wrong english and if there are right, are there any differences between the two negative and the two positive sentences.

1- I don't feel well.
2-I don't feel good
3-I feel good
4-I feel well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
is either new or old to you and can be either right or wrong. that's ... can be applied by looking at the sentences themselves. perhaps i should mention .

This makes no sense whatsoever. I'm sorry but I cannot believe that your profile statement that English is your native language is actually correct.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
is either new or old to you and can be either right or wrong. that's ... can be applied by looking at the sentences themselves. perhaps i should mention .

shanmarsh, welcome to Using English.

I have to say that I have absolutely NO idea what meant by this response, or how it relates in any way to what the thread starter was asking about. Can you explain?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi out there, I wish to ask if these sentences are right or wrong in English and, if [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] they are right, are there any differences between the two negative and the two positive sentences?

1 - I don't feel well.
2 - I don't feel good
3 - I feel good
4 - I feel well.

#1 is very common in BrE, meaning "I feel ill".
#2 is heard in BrE now, but I think it is more common in AmE, where "good" is used to mean "well".
#3 has less to do with health. In BrE, "I feel good" equates more to "I am happy" or "I am in a good mood".
#4 is fine grammatically but is not naturally used in BrE.

Please take note of my amendments to your post. Check your use of capital letters and punctuation in your future posts.

eddy143

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Thanks a million Emsr2d2. I will try not to make such mistakes nest time. I think i thought of the right words but spelled wrongly. You are great. Thanks again and to you who have made an effort to check my threads.

Ride on!!!!!!!

eddy143

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Thanks Mr. Barb_D. Please, you all permit me say "shanmarsh3" is a bonehead. I never meant to but he is really one!!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It became clear that he was not a real poster who was consufed, but iwas nstead a spammer. So his messages have been deleted. I was going to reply to your original thread, but ems had already done so and gave the same answers I would have.

The one thing I would emphasize is that "I feel good" answer. It's much more than "not unwell," just as ems described.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks Mr. Barb_D. Please, you all permit me say "shanmarsh3" is a ########.
I understand your feelings, eddy, and as that person has turned out to be a spammer, most of us probably agree. However, we try on this forum never to make personal comments about other members. There can be a thin line between what some may consider a justified comment, and what others may find offensive.

So, for the sake of a civilised forum, can we all please try to avoid personal remarks (even when we are dealing with boneheads ;-)).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.