Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,

Of the following set of sentences, can all eight be said and are these also all grammatically correct?

1. I heard a beautiful song sang.
2. I heard a beautiful song sung.

3. There was a beautiful song sang.
4. There was a beautiful song sung.

5. Listen to a beautiful song sang.
6. Listen to a beautiful song sung.

7. I want you to hear a beautiful song that I sang.
8. I want you to hear a beautiful song that I sung.

I am leaning towards that "sung" is correct in the sentences; 2, 4 & 6 and that both 7 & 8 are correct.

Hello.

Of the following set of sentences, can all eight be said and are [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] they also all grammatically correct?

1. I heard a beautiful song sang. :cross:
2. I heard a beautiful song sung. :tick:

3. There was a beautiful song sang. :cross:
4. There was a beautiful song sung. :tick:

5. Listen to a beautiful song sang. :cross:
6. Listen to a beautiful song sung. :tick:

7. I want you to hear a beautiful song that I sang. :tick:
8. I want you to hear a beautiful song that I sung. :cross:

I am leaning towards [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "sung" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] being correct in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sentences 2, 4 [STRIKE]&[/STRIKE] and 6, and that both 7 & 8 are correct.

See above. You're right about 2, 4 and 6. You're wrong about sentence 8. "I sung" is not the correct past simple verb form of "sing". It's "I sang".

Good to know!

When you focus on just the words "beautiful song sang" vs "beautiful song sung" as a in a book title or movie title for example, could any of these two titles be used or would "sung" still be the preferred option then?

Normally we would just say:

I heard a beautiful song.

You could also say:

I heard her singing.

Good to know!

When you focus on just the words "beautiful song sang" vs "beautiful song sung" as a in a book title or movie title for example, could [strike]any[/strike] either/both of these two titles be used or would "sung" still be the preferred option then?

Neither would make sense as a book title or movie title. They're not complete sentences. They're just fragments and, as such, are not grammatical.

Neither would make sense as a book title or movie title. They're not complete sentences. They're just fragments and, as such, are not grammatical.

I mentioned the book and movie title as an example where it does not need to be grammatically correct. That way it is just seen seen as fragments which is often being done with titles.

Let's say then, hypothetically that you are in front of a movie theater and there are two big signs above the entrance saying; "tonight's movies"

Underneath that it says on the left: Beautiful Song Sang and on the right; Beautiful Song Sung, which appeals more to you and/or which one sounds wrong.

Or in case you are in a bookstore and see these identical books. Which version would you buy?

Last edited:
Let's say then, hypothetically that you are in front of a movie theater and there are two big signs above the entrance saying; "tonight's movies"

Underneath that it says on the left: Beautiful Song Sang and on the right; Beautiful Song Sung, which appeals more to you and/or which one sounds wrong.
"Sang" is the past simple form which requires a subject. The structure of the phrase makes "beautiful song" look like the subject, which wouldn't make sense because a song can't sing itself.

"Beautiful Song Sung" is at least not grammatically impossible. It could conceivably be a title. It will look more natural if you add an indefinite article.

Notwithstanding the fact that I don't go and see a film based on the title alone, if I saw those two titles I would at least think "Beautiful Song Sung" is closest to being grammatical. I would assume it was some sort of contraction of "A Beautiful Song That Was Sung" or something similar. I would still ask myself why the people who made the film didn't go to the effort of making the title grammatical and understandable. (The same goes for a book title.)

I agree with GoesStation that adding the indefinite article at the start would help.

because a song can't sing itself.

Voice coaches teach that you must learn to control your breathing because otherwise the song sings you.

Last edited:
This thread's given me an earworm, so the rest of you might as well sing along with Song Sung Blue.

That is what I needed to know to help me understand. :up:

This is a great example I suppose that by asking the right question, you can get to the bottom of things.:)

Last edited:
Underneath that it says on the left: Beautiful Song Sang and on the right; Beautiful Song Sung, which appeals more to you and/or which one sounds wrong

I'd turn right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back