Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does this question sound natural when asking about school holidays?

"When do you have holidays?"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's natural if it's clear that you're discussing school.

So it depends on the context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know if AmE uses "school holidays" rather than "vacation" or "break" but the fact that you've used "school holidays" suggests that you are likely to be using BrE. If that's the case, you're more likely to hear "When are the/your school holidays?"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know if AmE uses "school holidays" rather than "vacation" or "break" but the fact that you've used "school holidays" suggests that you are likely to be using BrE. If that's the case, you're more likely to hear "When are the/your school holidays?"
To clarify:

In the U.S. we have lots of holidays, including school holidays. Lucky us! But most of us don't have many vacations. Poor us!

For example, August 10 is a holiday: National S'mores Day, coming up soon! But I doubt many people use it as an excuse for a vacation.

Sometimes holidays are vacation days. Vacation days are not on always holidays, but vacations are often organized around holidays. When we say "home for the holidays," it usually means traveling to join the family during the Christmas/New Year's/Hanukha/Kwanzaa season.

A holiday is a holy or otherwise special day. A vacation is a time to vacate home, work, or both.

So, spring break is a vacation, not a holiday. S'mores Day is a holiday, not a vacation.

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. My take on holidays versus vacation. We have several nationally (U.S.) declared holidays e.g. Labor Day (first Monday of September) that most/many businesses observe and declare a day off versus dozens of "officially declared" days (not holidays) e.g. S'mores Day, National Hot Dog Day etc. "Vacation" can be considered as a day or more of time off from school (summer), work (chosen by the employee or the employer) and does not necessarily mean that a person vacates their home.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you call the long summer break when kids don't have to attend school/college?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What do you call the long summer break when kids don't have to attend school/college?

As far as I am aware it doesn't have a name in AmE other than the summer holidays.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Frequently used/referred to as "summer break" or "vacation" if it has been established as referring to school or college.

Status
Not open for further replies.