Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi teachers
I've drafted the following sentences. Not sure if it's grammatical or not, and whether the semi-colons are used correctly. Could you please advise?

"Hong Kong is where I was born and raised; it is also where I studied, worked, became married and a father-of-two. The best and the toughest moments I experienced happened here. Therefore, I'm concerned about every single thing that happens to this city. I am ready to go a step further for the next generation. In my opinion, the city has looked and felt different in recent years. There is more distrust, more rows, more backbiting and disarray amongst people, instilling the city with nothing but a pessimistic atmosphere; we can't breathe and we feel distressed. I believe that no one wants to see thing getting grey in Hong Kong."

Cheers
Holden

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers.
I've drafted the following sentences. Not sure if it's grammatical or not, and whether the semi-colons are used correctly. Could you please advise?

"Hong Kong is where I was born and raised; it is also where I studied, worked, [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE]
[got] married and became a father-of-two. The best and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] toughest moments I have [ever] experienced happened here. Therefore, I'm concerned about every single thing that happens to this city. I am ready to go a step further for the next generation. In my opinion, the city has looked and felt different in recent years. There is more distrust, [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] rows, [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] backbiting and disarray amongst people, instilling the city with nothing but a pessimistic atmosphere; we can't breathe and we feel distressed. I believe that no one wants to see thing getting grey in Hong Kong."

Cheers
Holden

See above. Your use of semi-colons works, in my opinion. "Getting grey", which I have underlined and marked in blue, isn't natural. It's not a recognised phrase in English. Can you explain it some other way?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Last edited:

Tdol