Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
May I ask you what you call these? We call it 'senjed' which is a fruit put in 7-seen, traditionally decorated table for Norooz.

Thanks,

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Senjed (Elaeagnus angustifolia) (sometimes called: Persian olive, wild olive, Russian olive, silver berry, oleaster,) is a species of Elaeagnus, native to western and central Asia, Afghanistan, from southern Russia and Kazakhstan to Turkey and Iran.
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=senjed

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The tree is called Russian olive in the United States. It is much loathed as an invasive species, particularly by allergy-sufferers like me. Once intentionally imported, it is now banned in at least the US states of Colorado, New Mexico and Connecticut.

It has pleasantly fragrant blooms, but its pollen is murder.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting, I didn't realize they're considered nuisance trees, but then then in this area of so few trees, any tree is sacrosanct.

They're commonly grown in my area, as they're drought-resistant and establish in almost any kind of soil. However, they never seem to bear fruit in this area, so perhaps that's why they don't spread on their own.

I've never seen Russian Olive trees that weren't purposely planted, mostly as windbreaks. My uncle planted several in his orchard, but after 20 some years has yet to see a single fruit, although the trees themselves are thriving.

Status
Not open for further replies.