Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Good morning,
is the sentence "she studies very much" correct?
Thank you a lot.

is the sentence "she studies very much" correct?
She studies a lot.

She studies quite a bit.

She studies a great deal.

She puts in a lot of time studying.

She devotes a considerable amount of her time to her studies.

Good morning.
Is the sentence "She studies very much" correct?
Thank you. [strike]a lot.[/strike]

See my changes above. Remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter, including full sentences enclosed in quotation marks. We don't say "Thank you a lot". If you want to say more than just "Thank you", you can use "Thank you very much". However, there is no need to thank us until after we answer your questions.

She studies a lot.

She studies quite a bit.

She studies a great deal.

She puts in a lot of time studying.

She devotes a considerable amount of her time to her studies.

Thank you for the examples, but is the original sentence " She studied very much", totally wrong?

We don't say "Thank you a lot". If you want to say more than just "Thank you", you can use "Thank you very much".
The phrase “Thanks a lot” isn't correct?

The phrase "Thanks a lot" is often used sarcastically. (Especially in speech.) If you want to say you are especially thankful, you could say:

Thank you very much.

Or

Thank you so much.

Also there is:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I'm not sure it's a famous quote - I have never heard the quote, nor have I heard of Hans Rosling, but you will note that his native language is (I would assume) Swedish. A native speaker would not say it.

I'm not sure it's a famous quote - I have never heard the quote, nor have I heard of Hans Rosling, but you will note that his native language is (I would assume) Swedish. A native speaker would not say it.

Yes, he was Swedish. I found other examples online. Maybe it's a common mistake for no native speakers

I would say 'a common mistake made by non-native speakers'.

You can find examples because it is not wrong, but you would be better off spending your time accepting it and moving on to something else. You can say it, but almost no one does, and you will not sound natural if you do. There is no point to be made here as no one challenges the grammaticality of it. We just don't say it. If you want to use a form that 999,999 speakers out of a million don't use, then use it.

1. I study/work/play/talk/eat a lot.
2. I love/hate/like/dislike/miss her very much.

I think 'a lot' is used in 1 because the verbs refer to actions, while the verbs in 2 refer to feelings.

I found other examples online.
There's an infinite number of examples of incorrect English on the internet—multiplying daily.

Nobody polices the WWW or corrects all the mistakes, so it's pointless (and somewhat disrespectful) to quote dodgy examples in an attempt to challenge our expert and knowledgable answers.

There's an infinite number of examples of incorrect English on the internet—multiplying daily.

Nobody polices the WWW or corrects all the mistakes, so it's pointless (and somewhat disrespectful) to quote dodgy examples in an attempt to challenge our expert and knowledgable answers.

I don t want to challenge your expert answers, I just wanted to know if this sentence is somewhat acceptable. I'm a non-native speaker, I wrote it in an English test and I'm worried about it. I ask you because I want to improve my bad English.

I would not mark that use of much wrong in a test because it is not incorrect.

I would use 'much' in 'She spends much time studying'.

I would use 'much' in 'She spends much time studying'.

That's very unnatural, in BrE at least. We use "much" in the negative though.

She spends a lot of time studying.
She doesn't spend a lot of time studying.
She doesn't spend much time studying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back