Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everyone, I am just starting my adventure with teaching English in high school and I am looking for someone who would like to share their experience or valuable advice for a teacher who is just starting work. I would also like to organize lessons where we could talk to an English teacher or their group via Skype and share our experiences. Anyone wants to help me? Best wishes

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone.

I am just starting my adventure with teaching English in/at a high school and I am looking for someone who would like to share their experience or valuable advice [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] with a teacher who is just starting work. I would also like to organize lessons where we could talk to an English teacher or their group via Skype and share our experiences. Does anyone [STRIKE]wants[/STRIKE] want to help me?

[STRIKE]Best wishes[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. I don't know what you mean by the blue, underlined part. Are you talking about setting up a Skype call with someone's whole class?

In order to help you with the rest of your request, we need to know a few things:

- What level are your students?
- How many students do you teach in one class?
- Does the high school have a specific English curriculum or are you free to teach however/whatever you want (within reason)?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to tell you that it's all strictly individual.First you need to understand your level and what you know.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I want to tell you that it's all strictly individual.
How we develop ideas may be down to the individual, but I learnt an enormous amount from advice and suggestions from others throughout my career. If klaudine comes back with answers to emsr2d2's questions, I am sure that some of our members will be able to come up with some useful ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But probably through the medium of the forum rather than Skype.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone, I am just starting my adventure with teaching English in high school and I am looking for someone who would like to share their experience or valuable advice for a teacher who is just starting work. I would also like to organize lessons where we could talk to an English teacher or their group via Skype and share our experiences. Anyone wants to help me? Best wishes
Are you going to talk about the recent changes in English? Have you noticed that the words "say & "said" are becoming obsolete? They are being replaced with "go" & "going" . . . . Listen for it . . . .

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think the verb say is becoming obsolete, Michael, even though the verb go is commonly currently used in a quotative sense.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think the verb say is becoming obsolete, Michael, even though the verb go is commonly currently used in a quotative sense.
What I was saying (with some overstatement for emphasis)) is that I hear "go & "went" alarmingly often in place of SAY & SAID in informal conversations...maybe that is becoming mainstream. now that I have mentioned it you may start noticing it ...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Go/went" have been mainstream in the UK for decades. I don't agree that they're going any way to making "say/said" obsolete. I teach learners to recognise them but not to use them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Michael, you may have noticed the prevalence of quotative 'be like' too as a substitute for 'say'.

She was like "Oh, my God", and I was like "I know, right?"

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Michael, you may have noticed the prevalence of quotative 'be like' too as a substitute for 'say'.

She was like "Oh, my God", and I was like "I know, right?"
Do you think it will become mainstream?

Status
Not open for further replies.