Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Well, Today I was listening to the Beatles. The song "Ticket to ride" they sing "She's got a ticket to ride, but she don't care" I was wondering, shouldn't it be she doesn't care?

Or this is just for the rythme? because "She doesn't care" might not go with the song?

Thanks

Well, Today I was listening to the Beatles. The song "Ticket to ride" they sing "She's got a ticket to ride, but she don't care" I was wondering, shouldn't it be she doesn't care?

Or this is just for the rythme? because "She doesn't care" might not go with the song?

Thanks

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠

It does have something to do with the rhythm and lyrics of that song - don't has one syllable, whereas doesn't two. I guess it wouldn't fit well in the song with doesn't.

Or this is just for the rhythm? because "She doesn't care" might not go with the song?

Thanks
Yes, that's right. Songwriters often use non-standard English in that way.

Or this is just for the rhythm[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]? because "She doesn't care" might not go with the song?

Thanks

Partly rhythm, partly colloquial usage. And Lennon&McCartney's main musical inflences at the time - a lot of their stuff was 'standards' like Long Tall Sally, Matchbox, Chains... sung originally by African-American blues singers who would have said 'don'' (listen again; as I remember it was /ʃi:dəʊŋkeə/).

b

***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

"S/he don't..." is very common for songs.
I'm sure you will hear it many times.
(Of course this doesn't make it correct, though. ;-))

Cheers!

Big thanks, that helps a lot.

Thanks

You are right - to be grammatically correct, the line should have been "she doesn't care." In the same vein, Ringo's solo hit "It Don't Come Easy" should properly have been "It Doesn't Come Easy". But (as I've told my students many times) while song lyrics can be a pleasant/easy way of learning English words, they are not necessarily the place to learn proper grammar. Song writers not only abuse the rules of grammar and sentence structure when composing a tune, they'll also make up words or implausible situations, all in the name of creativity. My 86-year-old Dad is a huge Neil Diamond fan, so two of Neil's tunes immediately come to my mind as examples:

From "Play Me":
Song she sang to me
Song she brang to me
Words that rang in me
Rhyme that sprang from me
Warmed the night
And what was right
Became me .

"Brang" is NOT an English word. And the proper past tense of "spring" is "sprung".... But it fit his rhyming pattern, so what the heck. ;-)

While we're on the topic of Neil Diamond, I must present my personal bête noire when it comes to his lyrics...from the classic "I Am, I Said":

"I am," I said
To no one there
An no one heard at all
Not even the chair.

The chair didn't hear him? Does Mr. Diamond have unusually intelligent furniture?! I can't recall any occasion when my La-Z-Boy ever cautioned me "Whoah, I heard that!" ;-)

"I'm walking on sunshine...

And don't it feel good!"

is another offender.

Mind you, the old John Leyton song Son, this is she may be on pedants' playlists, but I think would have sounded better if he had been less hidebound with his grammar. ;-)

The chair didn't hear him? Does Mr. Diamond have unusually intelligent furniture?!

If walls can have ears, I can't see why chairs can't be deaf. ;-)

(...) so two of Neil's tunes immediately come to my mind as examples:

From "Play Me":
Song she sang to me
Song she brang to me
Words that rang in me
Rhyme that sprang from me
Warmed the night
And what was right
Became me .

"Brang" is NOT an English word. And the proper past tense of "spring" is "sprung".... But it fit his rhyming pattern, so what the heck. ;-)

Hi Ouisch,

Is that so everywhere? I was taught "spring-sprang-sprung", following the structure of "sing-sang-sung". But the list of irregular verbs I use for my students does say "spring-sprang/sprung-sprung". Is the past "sprung" typically AmE, while "sprang" would be BrE?

Thanks a lot

Greetings,

Charlideut

Spring/sprang/sprung is right in BE. To add to the irregularity an archaic past participle crops up now and then - e.g. in the Christmas carol: '...Let steeple bells be swungen' (which rhymes, of course, with 'sungen' ;-))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back