Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I want to refer to a woman who got pregnant when she thought she no longer could (because she was menopausal). Does menopausal pregnancy sound natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. It's not a phrase we use. You could say she fell pregnant after believing she had gone through menopause. I say "believing" because if she genuinely is in menopause (no periods for over 12 months) then she's not ovulating and can't fall pregnant. It is possible to fall pregnant while perimenopausal. If you really want to, you can read more HERE.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
No. It's not a phrase we use. You could say she fell pregnant after believing she had gone through menopause. I say "believing" because if she genuinely is in menopause (no periods for over 12 months) then she's not ovulating and can't fall pregnant. It is possible to fall pregnant while perimenopausal. If you really want to, you can read more HERE.
Wait, is menopause a continuous (12 months) progress? I thought it was just a one-time thing (the periods stop coming and that's about it). I've got a lot to learn about women. 😅

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You have indeed.

Having had a mother, sister, two wives and a daughter, as well as many female relatives, colleagues and good friends in my 75 years on this earth, I know a little about women. Another 75years of living with them and I may know a little more.

Last edited:

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
You have indeed.

Having had a mother, sister, two wives and a daughter, as well as many female relatives, colleagues and good friends in my 75 years on this earths, I know a little about women. Another 75years of living with them and I may know a little more.
I hope that when you say two wives, you don't mean at the same time. 😅

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Wait, is menopause a continuous (12 months) progress? I thought it was just a one-time thing (the periods stop coming and that's about it). I've got a lot to learn about women. 😅
Not a teacher.
Please don't take offense at this, but I would strongly suggest reading up on women's biology before moving any further with your writing.

It is possible for an older woman to confuse the signs of upcoming menopause with early signs of pregnancy. However, "menopausal pregnancy" does not sound natural, since there's no such thing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
  • Perimenopause is the time leading up to menopause. It describes a time when hormones start to decline and menstrual cycles become erratic and irregular. You may start to experience side effects of menopause, like hot flashes or vaginal dryness.
  • Menopause occurs when you’ve stopped producing the hormones that cause your menstrual period and have gone without a period for 12 months in a row. Once this has occurred, you enter postmenopause.
  • Postmenopause is the time after menopause has occurred. Once this happens, you're in postmenopause for the rest of your life. People in postmenopause are at an increased risk for certain health conditions like osteoporosis and heart disease.
Source: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21837-postmenopause

Status
Not open for further replies.