[General] She's a host of a local English club meeting in Shenzhen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This morning in a group a woman A was wondering if there were some English club meetings in Shenzhen. That reminded me of a friend who's hosting an English club meeting in Shenzhen. I then told A the things about my friend and also said to her "She's a host of a local English club meeting in Shenzhen".

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This morning, in a group, a woman, A, was wondering if there were [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] any English club meetings in Shenzhen. That reminded me of a friend [STRIKE]who's hosting[/STRIKE] who hosts an English club meeting in Shenzhen. I then told A [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] some things about my friend and also said to her, "She's a host of a local English club meeting in Shenzhen".

Is the italic sentence natural? See the final sentence of my response.

Using "a woman A" doesn't work. At the very least, you need to enclose "A" between two commas. It would be better to use a name, even if it's not her real name.
What do you mean by "in a group"? Are you talking about a face-to-face meeting or an online chat (or similar)?

If you're in Shenzhen, you don't need "in Shenzhen" at the end. "Local" suffices. If you're not in Shenzhen, omit "local" and end with "in Shenzhen" or "there".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What do you mean by "in a group"? Are you talking about a face-to-face meeting or an online chat (or similar)?

Sorry for the bad preamble. I was talking to her in an online group. It was an online chat.

If you're not in Shenzhen, omit "local" and end with "in Shenzhen" or "there".

I'm not in Shenzhen. Is the following sentence okay now?

"She's a host of a English club meeting in Shenzhen".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry for the bad preamble. I was talking to her in an online group. It was an online chat.
I'm not in Shenzhen. Is the following sentence okay now?

"She's a host of an English club meeting in Shenzhen".

I probably wouldn't use "meeting" there. She's one of the hosts of an English club.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is she the host of one meeting or all the meetings?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is she the host of one meeting or all the meetings?

I think I know why emsr2d2 said she wouldn't use "meeting" here because it's a bit confusing. If I say "meeting" here it means that there are many activities for people to meet. However, there are many English clubs in Shenzhen and my friend isn't the host of them. She's a host of one English club and they have one meeting once a week.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think it is understood that the host of a club hosts its meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.