Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
I was studying short forms. Could you please check if my examples and comments are correct?
'You have got.' Haven't you?'
'You have a dog.' 'Haven't you?' (Formal/old-fashioned).
'You have a dog'. Don't you?'
'I am right.' 'Aren't I?' 'Amn't' used to be an acceptable form.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.
I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] have been studying short forms. Could you please check if my examples and comments are correct?

1. 'You have got.' Haven't you?' :cross: "You have got" doesn't work as a standalone sentence.
2. 'You have a dog, haven't you?' (Formal/old-fashioned).
3. 'You have a dog, don't you?'
4. 'I am right, aren't I?' 'Amn't' used to be an acceptable form.

See above. You need to concentrate on how to use such tag questions. They shouldn't be two separate sentences. They should be the main sentence/phrase, then a comma, then the tag question.

If I've misunderstood and you're not trying to use tag questions, then your examples don't make much sense. The "short form" of "You have got" is simply "You've got". It's not "Haven't you?" "Have you [got] ..." is the interrogative form of "You have [got] ...".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
OK, but usually/always with the contraction "You've.....".
Not necessarily. If, for example the tone is a little serious/emphatic, then the full form is definitely natural.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
See above. You need to concentrate on how to use such tag questions. They shouldn't be two separate sentences. They should be the main sentence/phrase, then a comma, then the tag question.

If I've misunderstood and you're not trying to use tag questions, then your examples don't make much sense. The "short form" of "You have got" is simply "You've got". It's not "Haven't you?" "Have you [got] ..." is the interrogative form of "You have [got] ...".
Yes, sorry. I used the wrong term. I was asking about tag questions. In the first sentence I didn't add a noun. 'You have got a dog, haven't you?' Is it wrong?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Perfectly natural idiomatic English. It suggests that you already believe the person to have a dog and want to confirm that belief.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Perfectly natural idiomatic English. It suggests that you already believe the person to have a dog and want to confirm that belief.
Thank you. No one said anything about my comments in #2 about 'haven't you' instead of 'don't you?' ( should it be 'don't you or don't you have? in modern English?) being formal and in #4 about 'amn't I.
2. 'You have a dog, haven't you?' (Formal/old-fashioned).
3. 'You have a dog, don't you?'
4. 'I am right, aren't I?' 'Amn't' used to be an acceptable form.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Please ask about one form at a time.

OK. Is 'haven't you' an old-fashioned form? Should I use 'don't you?' instead? 2. 'You have a dog, haven't you?' (Formal/old-fashioned.)

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you. No one said anything about my comments in #2 about 'haven't you' instead of 'don't you?' ( should it be 'don't you or don't you have? in modern English?) being formal and in #4 about 'amn't I.
2. 'You have a dog, haven't you?' (Formal/old-fashioned). Could be heard/used.
3. 'You have a dog, don't you?' Would most frequently be used.
4. 'I am right, aren't I?' Yes, "aren't".'Amn't' used to be an acceptable form. Never heard/read "amn"t in AmE.
Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.