Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is the difference between "should the situation in the city deteriorate" and "in case the situation in the city deteriorate"?

=============
LONDON — Prime Minister Boris Johnson raised the stakes in a confrontation with China over Hong Kong on Wednesday, promising to allow nearly three million people eligible for a British overseas passport to live and work in Britain, if Beijing were to impose a new security law on the former British colony.

Mr. Johnson’s promise, made in a column in The Times of London, would open the door to a significant influx of people fleeing Hong Kong, should the situation in the city deteriorate further. But it left unanswered questions about how difficult it would be for those arrivals to obtain British citizenship.

Source: NYTimes June 3, 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/...ong-kong-china.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thread title means 'if the situation in the city deteriorates'.

Your suggested alternative is ungrammatical.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your thread title means 'if the situation in the city deteriorates'.

Your suggested alternative is ungrammatical.

I wonder why "in case the situation in the city deteriorate further" is ungrammatical because "in case" means "in preparation for an event that may possibly happen" while "should" also refers to "used to refer to a possible event or situation." They appear almost identical to me.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I wonder why "in case the situation in the city deteriorate further" is ungrammatical because "in case" means "in preparation for an event that may possibly happen" while "should" also refers to "used to refer to a possible event or situation." They appear almost identical to me.

The problem is with the subject-verb agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.