Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand. What do you mean by "regional English phrase"?

Neither Piscean nor I mentioned anything about regional usage.

If it were not regional, why has the mother used "shuck" to skin rabbits while you and Piscean never used (and will never use) it that way?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Related side note: Last weekend my friend and I were preparing a garden party for which we had to shuck 48 delicious Irish rock oysters. During our task, we wondered whether it was possible to 'shuck' anything other than oysters. We came up with a few other bivalves as potential candidates. Needless to say, we didn't consider rabbits.
Here in the American Midwest, where the world's best fresh-picked sweet corn is a summertime staple, we only shuck corn ("maize" to the rest of the world).

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it were not regional, why has the mother used "shuck" to skin rabbits while you and Piscean never used (and will never use) it that way?
She didn't. She used it to refer to the work she'd done with the little kids. She may have named it after some cute thing one of the kids said, or maybe she came up with it after undressing a few of them. It's not commonly used the way she used it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it involved getting kids out of bunny costumes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.