Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I would like to describe idiomatically a schedule when a person's days-off are not always Saturday and Sunday, but can be some other days, too. I'll give an example. My brother, who lives in the suburb of Moscow, used to work in an MVideo shop (selling electronics, computers, TVs, kitchen utensils, etc.) and he was responsible for receiving goods from buyers when the goods weren't working properly. He worked 2 or 3 days and then had days-off (2 or 3 days, I don't remember exactly). Thus, the shift lasted about 9h a day and 3 days consecuitively according to the schedue.

I would call this type of working "sliding schedule" or "rolling schedule". Is that correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "sliding schedule" is used.

**a suburb of Moscow

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is also "gliding schedule".

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
There is also "gliding schedule".

Does "gliding schedule" mean the same as "sliding schedule"?

By the way, some doctors also have a sliding schedule. Their shift can last 20 or 24h a day and then they can have one or two days-off. Actually, there are many professions where people work by shift. As for me I find it uncomfortable as I'm used to working during the daytime and having regular days-off at weekends.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think "sliding schedule" is used.

**a suburb of Moscow

Actually, I was thinking about the article before "suburb" when I was writing this sentence. The intended meaning was a particular suburb where by brother lives. This suburb is "Khimki" and it's within a 30 minute drive from Moscow (approximately 20 km from Moscow). Do we use "a" because we're mentioning this suburb for the first time in the text?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd use 'rotating schedule'.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've searched for these words ('gliding schedule', 'rotating schedule' - I've found their definitions; 'sliding schedule' - I've not found a separate definition, but I've found the links):

'A rotating schedule means that employees work a particular shift over a set amount of time. Employees on a rotating schedule might work the same shift on different days (rotation of days), or they might actually work different shifts (rotation of time)'.

'A gliding schedule is a type of flexible work schedule that requires the employee to work 8 hours a day and 40 hours each workweek but the employee may vary arrival and departure time on each of the 10 workdays of a pay period within limits established by the unit plan'.

I suppose that a rotating schedule is closer in meaning to what I've described in my post #1. Regarding a gliding schedule, it can mean that I work 8h a day every day, but I can arrive at work at different time periods. For example, one day I can come at 11am and work till 8pm (including a lunch break), the next day I can come at 10.30 in the morning and stay at work until 19.30, etc.

The thing is that I don't understand why "10 workdays" are mentioned in the definition of the gliding schedule. In Russia a workweek lasts for 7 days from Monday till Friday and Saturday and Sunday are a weekend when people normally have days-off.

Last edited: