Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does it make sense if I say: "regretful and slogan-like claims"?
Please improve it to a common collocation.

Re: slagon-like?

I have no idea what your title means, but the phrase doesn't make that much sense- could you give an example?

For example, someone who has broken his promises several time, comes to you and says: oh, I'm sorry, I won't do that again. I'm regretful and I do whatever you say from now on. I will do this i will do that...". But you are % 100 sure that he is lying and wants to trick on you. His claims are very similar to slogans which won't come true.

I had a dictation mistake. May I ask you to correct it? slagon----> slogan

Last edited:

There an expression which goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Similarly, "Once bitten, twice shy".

There an expression which goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Similarly, "Once bitten, twice shy".
Thank you Skrej, but in terms of translation, I always have this problem that Word by word translation from Persian to English will be rediculous in English. I myself understand it. But I cannot change the concept of the origin words in its Persian text. I mean I would like to use: regret, slogan and claims in the Engish corresonding phrase. Can you offer me a phrase with these 3 words?

Last edited:

I encounter another problem while translation. Persian literature may be different from English. I am always full of doubts when I translate Persian metaphors and similies to English. I appreciate you if you give me some advice.

I mean I would like to use: regret, slogan and claims in the Engish corresonding phrase. Can you offer me a phrase with these 3 words?
"Regretful and slogan-like claims" is as good as anything if you must use those words. It would only be understandable to other speakers of Persian and English who know what you mean by it, since they know what you've translated it from.
The way you translate something depends upon the purpose. If it is meant to be read and understood by English speakers, there is no point wording it in a way that English-speakers won't understand. For metaphors, do you to keep it as literally close to the original as possible, or do you want to produce something that sounds authentic in the target language?

The more I try to keep it close to Persian, the less understandable it will be in English. So, I think it is a spectrum which I should stand on the middle, closer to English.
I want to produce authentic words so that everyone feels comfortable while reading them. By everyone, I mean everyone who can read them, both native English speakers and nonnatives.

You might be able to call it a lying mantra.

The more I try to keep it close to Persian, the less understandable it will be in English. So, I think it is a spectrum which I should stand on the middle, closer to English.
I asked mainly because most professional translators, for example of famous novels, generally translate from their second language into their native language - not the other way round.

For example a Persian poem is usually translated into English by an English native speaker, not a Persian. A Persian might be more faithful to the literal meaning, but it might sound odd. On the other hand, an English translator is more likely to produce a version which sounds natural and poetic in English, even if it takes a few liberties with literal word-for-word meanings.

Neither translation is necessarily 'better' than the other. It depends on the intended audience.

You might be able to call it a lying mantra.

Mantra? Oh, no. Mantra is not suited in the content.

It is used with precisely that meaning, religious context removed.

I asked mainly because most professional translators, for example of famous novels, generally translate from their second language into their native language - not the other way round.

For example a Persian poem is usually translated into English by an English native speaker, not a Persian. A Persian might be more faithful to the literal meaning, but it might sound odd. On the other hand, an English translator is more likely to produce a version which sounds natural and poetic in English, even if it takes a few liberties with literal word-for-word meanings.

Neither translation is necessarily 'better' than the other. It depends on the intended audience.

You're right. I fully understand that. For me, translating from English to Persian is as easy as ABC. But Persian to English is very difficult.
The problem is that who knows Persian? Although,there are some professional translators, they wouldn't translate anything without recieving money. For me, things are different. I translate for myself. It's a challenging hobby. Moreover, we have a revision group; finaly they correct our mistakes so that they can publish the texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back