Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are the articles marked by asterisks used correctly?
Do my sentences sound idiomatic?

Some novels have been successfully adapted into great movies, while others are mediocre movies or movies that are better than *the* book. Some books with unique literary styles may be impossible to adapt successfully. It is up to *the* readers and viewers to decide whether it is better to read *the* book or see *the* movie.

While cars have become a necessity for many people in modern society, their widespread use has also led to numerous traffic-related problems such as congestion, *rush hour disappearing,* complaints about police enforcement, and rising gas prices due to *the* increased demand (I mean on fuel) and government taxes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use all the articles in your first paragraph. The one in the second paragraph is optional.
Why is the disappearance of rush hour a problem?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The street right outside our apartment complex is pretty busy, and rush hour doesn't disappear there until about 10pm.
😊

Perhaps:

Some novels have been successfully adapted into great movies. Some adaptations haven't done very well.

I don't think you have to explain the phrase "rising gas prices due to increased demand". And "taxes" doesn't really need an adjective.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The street right outside our apartment complex is pretty busy, and rush hour doesn't disappear there until about 10pm.
😊

Perhaps:

Some novels have been successfully adapted into great movies. Some adaptations haven't done very well.

I don't think you have to explain the phrase "rising gas prices due to increased demand". And "taxes" doesn't really need an adjective.
Do you mean some adaptations haven't been done well?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams They haven't done well at the box office, that's right. (You can substitute "were poorly made" for "haven't done well".)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That has a different meaning from "haven't done well".
"They haven't been done well" means the quality isn't good but "they haven't done well" they aren't successful. Right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
while others are mediocre movies or movies that are better than *the* book.

I am not sure that the second half goes with while.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It is up to *the* readers and viewers to decide whether it is better to read *the* book or see *the* movie.
I suggest dropping the article before "readers and viewers". In fact it might be clearer to change those words to "people".
It is up to people to decide whether to read the book or see the movie".

Some novels have been successfully adapted into great movies, while others are mediocre movies or movies that are better than *the* book.
Some novels have been successfully adapted into great movies or at least ones that are better than the book, and some into mediocre ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.