Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use either "sports" or "sport" in both parts of my sentences?

1. "Yoga is not a sport, but it has an element of sports, because there is a physical activity."

2. "Yoga is not a sports, but it has an element of sports, because there is a physical activity."

3. "Yoga is not a sports, but it has an element of sport, because there is a physical activity."

4. "Yoga is not a sport, but it has an element of sport, because there is a physical activity."

Last edited:
"but it also has a part of sport" is incorrect in all four sentences. Please reword that and then ask us again. (It has nothing to do with the use of "sport".)

"but it also has a part of sport" is incorrect in all four sentences. Please reword that and then ask us again. (It has nothing to do with the use of "sport".)

I changed it into "an element" and removed "also". Why is it wrong to use "a part of"?

. . . Why is it wrong to use "a part of"?
Because what part of sports would it be? Spo? Ports? Orts? It doesn't make sense.

You can say either "an element of sport" or "an element of sports." They're not exactly the same, but for your puproses, they both make sense.

In the context of your example:

"Sport" (countable) is physical play, usually in a group: "We were not fighting. We were just wrestling for sport."

"Sports" (uncountable) is the world of organized play and competition: "I enjoy going to the movies, but what I really love is sports."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sports" (uncountable) is the world of organized play and competition: "I enjoy going to the movies, but what I really love is sports."

For info, the uncountable form in British English is "sport".

I enjoy going to the cinema but what I really love is sport.

(In BrE, we "go to the cinema". We sometimes use "movie" in place of "film" as a countable noun.)

Because what part of sports would it be? Spo? Ports? Orts? It doesn't make sense.

You can say either "an element of sport" or "an element of sports." They're not exactly the same, but for your puproses, they both make sense.

In the context of your example:

"Sport" (countable) is physical play, usually in a group: "We were not fighting. We were just wrestling for sport."

You said they are not the same but for my purposes they both make sense. Could you please explain the difference between "an element of sport" and "an element of sports"?
I used "sports" and "sport" in each example. In some of them both "sports" in some only "sport". Do I need to change anything else?

Yoga is not a sport. However, there is an element of sport to it because it involves [strenuous] physical activity.

Also asked and answered here after you had received replies from this forum.

That's OK, but don't do it the other way round without providing a link to the answers in the other forum.

Also asked and answered here after you had received replies from this forum.

That's OK, but don't do it the other way round without providing a link to the answers in the other forum.

OK. But replies are different. I am trying to understand why "an element of sports" is correct for some native speakers while it's not wrong according to some other native speakers. That's what we were talking about on that forum. As I read in post 4 "an element of sports" is correct is it used in the plural or as an uncountable. But before uncountable and plural nouns "an/a" isn't used. That's why I was wondering what kind of use it is. Is it informal, less common, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back