Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is Biden the "Uncle Leon"? By searching it seems that Uncle Leon is a character in some dramas who's nitpicking at anything....I am not sure.

=========================
Trump touts letter from ex-attorney Dowd attacking Mattis ...
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-touts-dowd-letter-attacking-mattis
7 hours ago · BIDEN CALLS MATTIS' CRITICISM OF TRUMP A 'POWERFUL INDICTMENT' ... You need to bone up on your homework and stop listening to Uncle Leon," he added in an apparent reference to former Defense ...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why on earth would you stop the quote there? Do you think it could be a reference to Leon Panetta, as in "Defense Secretary Leon Panetta"?

"You need to bone up on your homework and stop listening to Uncle Leon," he added in an apparent reference to former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta."

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why on earth would you stop the quote there? Do you think it could be a reference to Leon Panetta, as in "Defense Secretary Leon Panetta"?

"You need to bone up on your homework and stop listening to Uncle Leon," he added in an apparent reference to former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta."

I've read through the letter before posting the thread.
The part "he added in an apparent reference to former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta" doesn't appear there (in the link of the OP). It doesn't appear in the letter posted by Trump in his tweet either:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1268675068814659584/photo/1

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] I read through the letter before posting the thread.
The part "he added in an apparent reference to former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta" doesn't appear there (in the link of the OP).
Perhaps the linked site fixed the omission after you read the page. It's there now.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've read through the letter before posting the thread.
The part "he added in an apparent reference to former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta" doesn't appear there (in the link of the OP).
"... he added in an apparent reference to former Defense ..." must have appeared in the original, because you quoted it. OK, maybe they stopped with the ellipsis after "Defense", but that's not a viable journalistic practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.