Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I read a passage which is beyond my comprehension. There are four questions as following. Which option is acceptable in each question? Please check out my answers. Thanks!

Dreams are the manifestation in consciousness of the operations of the subconscious mind, and the subconscious mind has functions of performing beyond those, and often superior to those, of the conscious reason. This function we may call “intuition,” and it operates in our everyday life and all the time, although we may not be aware of it. We are wise if we take heed of its voice. For when we cannot make a decision about something, such as accepting a job, what to do in a domestic crisis, or buying a house, we commonly say, “Let us sleep on it!” For we know from experience that when we do, as likely as not by the morning we find that the problem is solved and we are clear in our minds as to what to do. That is not because our brains are fresh in the morning, for the problem has already been solved in our sleep. Our mind has not been inactive during sleep but has automatically sorted out the various factors in the case and adjusted itself to the situation. That this actually happens in dreams is common knowledge: that it is the function of dreams to do so is our contention. Those who do crossword puzzles have often found that the right answers to many of the questions come to them not by reasoning it out, but suddenly, out of the blue.

1. According to this passage, dreams take place ______________.
(A) in the conscious mind
(B) in the evening or at night
(C) only when we have a problem to solve
(D) when our brains are not fresh

2. Intuition, as used by the writer, could best be defined as __________.
(A) a voice we should listen to when we are trying to solve a problem
(B) the information-sorting mechanism in our minds
(C) an operation of the mind beginning in the subconscious and
ending in the conscious mind
(D) one of the many functions of our minds

3. The crossword puzzle example at the end of the passage __________.
(A) suggests that if a person sleeps on the puzzle, he would more
likely be able to solve it the next day.
(B) demonstrates the effect of subconscious thought
(C) proves that intuition occurs quite suddenly.
(D) shows that crossword puzzles cannot be solved by reasoning.

4. Dreams _______________________________________________.
(A) happen when the conscious mind is active
(B) are completely unlike intuition
(C) cannot solve our problems if we pay attention to them
(D) begin with the workings of the subconscious mind

My answers are as written.
1. A (I am not sure of it. Why not in the "subconscious mind?")
2. B
3. B
4. D

2. B
3. B
4. D

I would give the following answers:
1. A I think the key phrase is "manifestation in consciousness"
2. A
3. A
4. D

We used to have a saying: "That and a dime will get you a cup of coffee" (I'm dating myself!), meaning you're welcome to it but it may not be worth very much. I'd be curious to know what the 'correct' answers are.

I'm confused by your answers to #2 and #3. Please explain it to me. Thanks!

Those are my opinions, based on my understanding of the reading. They may not be the answers the person who wrote the questions is looking for. Others may disagree. I recommend you wait for others to 'weigh in' on this.

I read a passage which is beyond my comprehension. There are four questions as following. Which option is acceptable in each question? Please check out my answers. Thanks!

Firstly, because that's not a choice. But more importantly, the first sentence asserts that dreams occur in the conscious mind as a product of the subconscious mind.

2. B
3. B
4. D
My answers are A,C B, D.
We disagree on #2.
Some of these question have multiple correct answers; the idea is to indentify the specific answer that the article gives. For #2, all answers are correct.
But (almost) the whole article points to intuition as being something that begins in subconscious (hence the relating it to dreams), but which becomes conscious (so that we can act on it by making decisions, or solving crosswords, etc.)

Incidentally, I think #3A is wrong primarily because the article is not about crosswords, but about the subconscious mind and hence intuition. The reference to crosswords is just an example. It's not fundamental to the article's message. 3B is fundamental to the message.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back