Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

Have I used "impediment" correctly in this sentence? Is it okay and natural sounding?

Television double-edged sword. It can be used to educate children. But it can be an impediment to children's education. Also, excessive use of TV can lead to social isolation.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry I forgot to put "is".

So is this completely okay?

Television is a double-edged sword. It can be used to educate children. But it can be an impediment to children's education. Also, excessive use of TV can lead to social isolation.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Make sure you properly proofread your sentences several times before sending your original posts.

What do you mean by 'completely' okay?

It's odd that you decided to split your second thought over two separate sentences. Why did you feel the need to do that? I think there are much better ways of expressing this thought.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Make sure you properly proofread your sentences several times before sending your original posts.

What do you mean by 'completely' okay?

It's odd that you decided to split your second thought over two separate sentences. Why did you feel the need to do that? I think there are much better ways of expressing this thought.

Are you talking about the two negative aspects of television, namely "impeding education" and "social isolation"?

Are you saying I should combine them into one sentence?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, I'm talking about the second and third sentences. Either link them together to make a single complex sentence or justify not doing so.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, I'm talking about the second and third sentences. Either link them together to make a single complex sentence or justify not doing so.

Is this better?

Television is a double-edged sword. It can be used to educate children. But it can be an impediment to children's education and moreover, excessive use of TV can lead to social isolation.

What is your suggestion?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I said the second and third sentences, not the third and fourth.

It can be used to educate children. But it can be an impediment to children's education.

Why do you have two sentences here? This is one single contrastive thought. Rewrite it, possibly using although, or something similar.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I said the second and third sentences, not the third and fourth.

It can be used to educate children. But it can be an impediment to children's education.

Why do you have two sentences here? This is one single contrastive thought. Rewrite it, possibly using although, or something similar.

What about now?

Television is a double-edged sword. Although it can be used to educate children, it can be an impediment to their education. Also, excessive use of TV can lead to social isolation.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's better, don't you think?

Status