Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, everyone. I want to say:
Only around a quarter of households were in owned accommodation in 1981; this figure was far smaller than the figure for households in rented accommodation in 1981.

But, obviously this is very repetitive. So, I came up with this shorter version:
Only around a quarter of households were in owned accommodation in 1981; this figure was far smaller than that/the figure for renters that year/the same year.

Please help me choose the better words.

Many thanks!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You can also change the second "households" in the original sentence to "those".

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You guys don't think 'in 1981' is repetitive. Would it be better if I change the second 'in 1981' to 'that year'?

Only around a quarter of households were in owner-occupied accommodation in 1981; this figure was far smaller than the figure for those in rented accommodation [STRIKE]in 1981/[/STRIKE] that year.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, take it out.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, everyone. I was wondering why it isn't good to just use 'that'?
Only around a quarter of households were in owner-occupied accommodation in 1981; this figure was far smaller than the figure/that for those in rented accommodation that year.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Just use that. I'm guessing that by accommodations you mean houses.

Did you write those sentences?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, I wrote them. I use 'accommodation' because the chart in the attachment uses it.
If I use 'that', there will be two 'that' in my sentence. I also repeated the word accommodation. Is this good?
Are both 'were' and 'was' correct?
Only around a quarter of households were/was in owner-occupied accommodation in 1981; this figure was far smaller than that for those in rented accommodation that year.

Attachments

• home 2.jpg
    home 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I wrote them. I use 'accommodation' because the chart in the attachment uses it.
If I use 'that', there will be two 'that' in my sentence. I also repeated the word accommodation. Is this good?
Are both 'were' and 'was' correct?
Only around a quarter of households were/was in owner-occupied accommodation in 1981; this figure was far smaller than that for those in rented accommodation that year.
"Around a quarter of households" is plural. Use "were".

The author used "accommodation" because it includes all kinds of living spaces. "Houses" would exclude all those people who live in condominium apartments or mobile homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.