Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello, I've encountered a sentence that was something like this: : the chisel cut through the wood easily, that play a role in woodworking."
In this case, why there is no s' in play (as I'm writing now Grammarly offers to fix it to plays). but in the original sentence the "that" referred to a single item, so should s' be added?
Thank you

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
I've encountered a sentence
Please tell us where you encountered it. Provide a link if possible.
that was something like this: : the chisel cut through the wood easily, that play a role in woodworking."
That is not a grammatical sentence.
as I'm writing now Grammarly offers to fix it to by suggesting "plays".
No. Even that wouldn't fix it.
but in the original sentence the "that" referred to a single item, so should s' be added?
Again, please give us the source.

menienglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Sorry I don't have that sentence, I tried to recall it...
How about you tell me the rules in the case of that+verb

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry I don't have the source or writer of that sentence. I tried to recall write it as best as I could remember it.
How about Please could you tell me the rules in the case of that+verb?
Note my changes above. Whenever you find a sentence you're going to ask us about, note down the source and the author. We have very strict copyright rules here.
As you're not a native speaker, you probably don't realise that "How about you ...?" comes across as very rude. I've changed it to a more acceptable version.

We can't tell you the "rules" of "that + verb" because there aren't any specific rules. The original sentence is completely ungrammatical. If you can find another example sentence in which you don't understand "that + verb", feel free to post it and we'll try to help.

menienglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, I've encountered a sentence that was something like this: : the chisel cut through the wood easily, that play a role in woodworking."
In this case, why there is no s' in play (as I'm writing now Grammarly offers to fix it to plays). but in the original sentence the "that" referred to a single item, so should s' be added?
Thank you

As previously mentioned, it's ungrammatical as written. Even fixing the subject/verb agreement issue still leaves a comma splice at best.

To completely fix it, you'd have to say something like:
The chisel cuts through the wood easily; that plays a role in woodworking.
The chisel cuts through the wood easily, and that plays a role in woodworking.

Without further context and just based on personal knowledge, I would guess that it's talking about the importance of keeping your tools (especially chisels) sharp. Razor sharp chisels not only cut the wood easier, but make for neater, cleaner cuts, which makes for better quality craftsmanship. Dull tools rip or tear the wood, leading to unwanted defects and flaws. At best it takes extra time to correct such defects, but at worst it might result in completely ruining the project.

menienglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
As previously mentioned, it's ungrammatical as written. Even fixing the subject/verb agreement issue still leaves a comma splice at best.

Without further context and just based on personal knowledge, I would guess that it's talking about the importance of keeping your tools (especially chisels) sharp. Razor sharp chisels not only cut the wood easier, but make for neater, cleaner cuts, which makes for better quality craftsmanship. Dull tools rip or tear the wood, leading to unwanted defects and flaws. At best it takes extra time to correct such defects, but at worst it might result in completely ruining the project.
I agree with your last paragraph.
So your fixed sentences agree with me that an s should have been attached to "that'. It's was a dutch website so I think they got non native speaker to translate.
Thanks a lot!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I have a hunch that that 'that' was meant to be a 'which'.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence needs to be entirely rewritten.