Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello all! Once upon a time I saw the proposals using infinitive in the present continuous - They are working hard to earn money
I am training to become a professional footballer
Mike is studying hard to become a doctor
I don't understand what these proposals mean: maybe fact(like the present simple), maybe the long process(I only know that the present continuous means short processes happening right now, but maybe I am wrong).
I would be glad if someone help in my researches of English sense :) .

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
These are not 'proposals'. Where did you find that information?

The tense is not relevant here. What you have is the to- infinitive used to indicate purpose. So you first sentence, I am training to become a professional footballer, means effectively the same as I am training in order to become a professional footballer/I am training so that I can become a professional footballer.

Any tense aspect, if relevant to the context can be used, for example:

Mike studied hard to become a doctor.
Mike has studied hard to become a doctor.
Mike has been studying hard to become a doctor.
Mike will study hard to become a doctor

The durative (continuous/progressive) aspects in your original sentence indicates that the situations mentioned are of limited, not necessarily short, duration.

Did you read the article I linked you to in your earlier thread?

Anoldbeginner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The article is useful. I am reading it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all!

Once upon a time I saw the the following proposals sentences using an infinitive in after the present continuous:

They are working hard to earn money.
I am training to become a professional footballer.
Mike is studying hard to become a doctor.

I don't understand what these proposals sentences mean: maybe fact space here (like the present simple), maybe the long process space here (I only know that the present continuous means short processes happening right now, but maybe I am wrong).
I would be glad if someone would help in with my researches research of into English sense. :) no full stop here

Please note my corrections above. Can you explain why you used "proposals"? What do you think it means?

Anoldbeginner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As a beginner, I don't know the main difference between these two words(proposal and sentence). I think they have the same meaning. Correct me, pls, if I am wrong about that :(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a beginner, I don't know the main difference between these two words space here ("proposal" and "sentence"). I think they have the same meaning. Correct me, pls please, if I am wrong about that. :(

Note my corrections above. Please don't use textspeak/chatlish on the forum. There is no such word as "pls".

I cannot imagine why you think the two words have the same meaning. Please look both words up in good dictionaries (such as OneLook.com), then tell us what definitions you find. Provide links if possible.

Anoldbeginner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think it would be better for me to learn all possible meanings of these words with using them in different sentences. It'll take a very long time for me...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it would be better for me to learn all possible meanings of these words with by using them in different sentences. It'll take a very long time for me.

That's not necessary yet. For now, explain to us what definition of "proposal" led to your use of it in your opening post.

Anoldbeginner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To be honest... I used google translate :(. BUT, from now on I am going to use only online dictionaries.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Google Translate is quite useful these days for getting a rough idea of what a passage means translated into your own language. It should never be used for translating into another language.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be honest, I used Google Translate :( no full stop here but, from now on, I am going to use only online dictionaries.

That's a good decision. Make sure you use a standard English dictionary, in which the definitions are given in English. Don't use an English-Russian dictionary. I have just discovered from Google Translate that the Russian word for "proposal" is the same as the Russian word for "sentence". Unfortunately for you, that's really unhelpful for your context. However, you have learnt something useful here - the two words definitely don't mean the same in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.