The meeting takes place during 0900-1200 and 1400-1700.

axie4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The meeting takes place during 0900-1200 and 1400-1700.

I wonder if the sentence is correct or not. Is there a better way to say it?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, axie4. :)

'During' is wrong; 'from' is better.

Twenty-four hour timings are only used in certain contexts – such as the military or bus and train timetables.

The present tense in your sentence (takes place) tells us that the meeting regularly takes place during those hours. Is that what you mean?

Please tell us about the context in which you want to use this sentence. If you're informing people about a meeting you're arranging, you could say 'The meeting will take place from 9 to 12am and after a lunch break, from 2 to 5pm'.*

There are different ways to write those times and that's a very long meeting. Is that really what you mean?

axie4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you for your reply. I was not sure about the preposition so I used “the meeting” as an example. Apparently, it’s not an good example.

The original context will be “Flocks of bird activity in the vicinity and at the airport will fly below 45 ft from 9 to 12am and from 2 to 5pm.”

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was not sure about the preposition so I used “the meeting” as an example. Apparently, it’s not a good example.

The original context will be is “Flocks of birds activity in the vicinity and at the airport will fly below 45 ft from 9 to 12am and from 2 to 5pm.”

Where did you find the original sentence? You must always provide the source and author of any text you quote.

Can you see that quoting the proper sentence in post #1 would have saved me a lot of time guessing what you meant?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your reply. I was not sure about the preposition so I used “the meeting” as an example. Apparently, it’s not an good example.

The original context IS “Flocks of bird activity in the vicinity and at the airport will fly below 45 ft from 9 to 12am and from 2 to 5pm.”
You mean "Flocks of birds ..."

It's amazing to me that anybody can predict what birds are going to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your reply. I was not sure about the preposition so I used “the meeting” as an example. Apparently, it’s not wasn't an a good example.

The original context will be “Flocks of bird activity are active in the vicinity and at the airport will all aircraft within [number] miles of [name of airport] must fly below 45 ft from 9am to 12am and from 2pm to 5pm.”
I've made a guess at what you mean but, even with my corrections, it doesn't make much sense. Why would bird activity only be a problem for those exact six hours on any particular day? What exactly are you trying to achieve? Who is this message for? Why are you writing it? As Tarheel pointed out, bird activity can't possibly be so predictable.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original context will be “Flocks of bird activity in the vicinity and at the airport will fly below 45 ft from 9 to 12am and from 2 to 5pm.”
The original context will be “Flocks of bird activity are active in the vicinity and at the airport will all aircraft within [number] miles of [name of airport] must fly below 45 ft from 9am to 12am and from 2pm to 5pm.”

Planes couldn't possibly fly below 45ft. Is it perhaps supposed to be predicting that the birds will be below 45ft? :confused:

I don't think it too unreasonable that scientists could make reasonable predictions for periods of heightened bird activity based on typical species in a region based on things like known feeding or migration patterns.

Pilots involved in bird strikes are supposed to report them to the Federal Aviation Administration, which keeps a database with the details of strikes. The FAA uses this data while working with biologists to estimate times and areas of highest bird strike risk, based on bird species and flight patterns. I would imagine other countries have similar programs. Here's an article about it, and steps being taken to prevent it.

Granted, they can't possibly predict the flight of any single bird at any time, but it can provide windows of increased likelihood.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The impossibility of the flying altitude hit me after I went to bed last night! It was too late to get up and comment on it!

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The impossibility of the flying altitude hit me after I went to bed last night! It was too late to get up and comment on it!
The highest risk of bird strikes is normally near the ground with birds congregating to feed on or near the airfield.

I note that axie4's use of the 24 hour clock has been corrected I do think that it would be more appropriate on an aviation context.

Last edited: