The process consists of collecting materials, production, and packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

I was wondering how we can make sure the items listed after 'consist of' are grammatically parallel.

As in my example,

"Overall, the procedure consists of some major phases, namely the collection of raw clay, production, packaging and distribution."

Can I also use collecting raw clay?

Indeed, I have trouble realising where exactly a NOUN is prioritised over verb+ing to refer to an action, and if we can have a collection of nouns and gerunds in a list.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Overall, the procedure consists of some major phases, namely the collection of raw clay, production, packaging and distribution."
Why do you specify "raw clay" after "collection", but you do not add nouns after "production", etc?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why do you specify "raw clay" after "collection", but you do not add nouns after "production", etc?
Well I was thinking of a sample sequence of events, like the manufacturing of bricks which I've recently seen, and indeed the production refers to bricks.

And now the question is if it should be "the production of bricks", or "producing bricks"!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would write:
The manufacturing process consists of the procurement of raw material (clay), and the production, packaging and distribution of bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.