The proportion of people who immigrated to look for a job was higher than that of all categories

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
The chart consists of 6 categories. I want to say one category, "immigration " is higher than the other categories.

1-The proportion of people who immigrated to look for a job was higher than that of all categories, namely, other reasons, having a specific job, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and seeking jobs.

2-The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all categories, namely, other reasons, having a specific job, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and seeking jobs.

I am not sure if I should use singular nouns or plural nouns for the categories.

Can I use "immigrating" as in sentence two?

Should I say " to look for jobs" or "to look for a job" with to plus infinitive?

Is sentence one correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026-143914.png
    Screenshot_20231026-143914.png
    621 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before we continue, please edit post #1 to remove "xxxx" and write the rest of each sentence in. (I'm asking you to do this because I suspect "namely, ..." might not be correct. Without the rest of the sentence, I don't know for sure.)

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Before we continue, please edit post #1 to remove "xxxx" and write the rest of each sentence in. (I'm asking you to do this because I suspect "namely, ..." might not be correct. Without the rest of the sentence, I don't know for sure.)

Thank you. I have edited the first post and added the chart if needed.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Should I add namely or Is it redundant?

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Not a teacher

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all categories, namely, other reasons, having a specific job, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and seeking jobs.

For me, this sentence is correct.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all other categories; namely: already having a specific job, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and other reasons,"

You are talking about how one possible category was greater than all the others. It makes no sense to list the thing you are already talking about (seeking jobs) in the list. It also is normal to place the "other" category at the end of a list.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
"The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all other categories; namely: already having a specific job, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and other reasons,"

You are talking about how one possible category was greater than all the others. It makes no sense to list the thing you are already talking about (seeking jobs) in the list. It also is normal to place the "other" category at the end of a list.

I guess the sentence will be better as : if I compare one category in immigration with all categories in emigration.

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all other categories in emigration figure. (Including the six figures in emigration)

The chart in post #1 compare immigration to emigration.

If I want to say that " look for jobs figure" in immigration are higher than three categories in emigration figure.

Is the following sentence correct?

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of emigration figure, namely, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and other reasons.

Is it possible to omit "namely"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess the sentence will would be better as no colon here "If I compare one category in immigration with all categories in emigration".
Note my corrections above.
The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all other the categories in the emigration figure. (I am including the six figures in under "emigration".)
Are you talking about the total figure if you add up all the figures in the emigration section?
The chart in post #1 compares immigration to emigration.
Take care with singular/plural agreement.
If I want to say that the "look for jobs" figure no quotation marks here in immigration are is higher than the three categories in the emigration figure, is the following sentence correct?
Take care with the placement of quotation marks and with singular/plural agreement.
The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of the total number of people emigration who emigrated. figure, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and other reasons.
See above. I honestly think you're trying to construct sentences that are too difficult for your level.
Is it possible to omit "namely"?
From which sentence - the final one in post #7 or the one in post #1?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Are you talking about the total figure if you add up all the figures in the emigration section?

Thank you @emsr2d2 I appreciate your contribution and correction. Please help me out if there are mistakes.

Both immigration and emigration consist of six categories.

I am comparing one category in immigration figure which is (the look for jobs) to all six categories in emigration figure.

I don't know if the following sentence is correct:

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all the categories in the emigration figure.

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of the total number of people emigration who emigrated.

The chart compares the percentage of people who immigrated and emigrated. I don't know of the number of people" is acceptable.

Is the following sentence correct?

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that the people who emigrated.

From which sentence - the final one in post #7 or the one in post #1?
Post#7 I don't know if I can omit "namely".

In the following sentence, I am compare one category (the look for job) in immigration figure to only three categories in emigration figure I mentioned them after "namely".

The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of emigration figure, namely, having a formal study, accompanying their families, and other reasons.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The proportion of people immigrating to look for jobs was higher than that of all any of the categories in the emigration figure.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you teacher @emsr2d2 No words describe how grateful I am to you. Thank you for allocating time for us. Could you confirm if post#9 is correct? or should I write a new thread if you please.