Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
2022-03-16_11-41.png

It is from the book WordBuilder published by Macmillan.

I can't catch the last sentence.

if you come the back way, the second door on the right along the landing from the bathroom.

Could you help me understand these:
1) Is the door to the bathroom on the landing?
2) How many doors is there on the landing?
3) When you ascend, reach the landing, see the bathroom, you are supposed to go to the right? Or you have to find the bathroom first, which may be on your left, and only then go further along the landing and count doors on your right?
4) If he mentioned doors on the right, then there are doors on the left. If these are the doors on your right and on your left, maybe it is not a landing, but a corridor?

Anyway, I almost can't understand anything here.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Santa should go straight along the landing until he sees the bathroom. The second door on the right after that will be Jason's door.

The upstairs 'corridor' in British houses is often referred to as 'the landing'.

20220317_115706 (1).jpg

I can't catch the idea. Could you have a look at the image. Which variant is correct? If any.

The bathroom door is not necessarily the first door on the landing, and it is not necessarily on the right.

Santa must simply walk along the landing until he sees the bathroom door. He then looks to the right along the corridor ahead of him, and counts the doors. The second door he sees is Jason's.

(ps. He will have no problem in recognising the bathroom door. Since 207, he has carried a bathroom-door-recognition bleeper.)

I can't catch the last sentence.

I think you've used this a couple of times. We don't use "catch" to mean "understand" when we're reading something. We use it when we haven't entirely heard something. If, for example, someone mutters something, you know they said something but you didn't hear it properly, you say "Sorry? I didn't quite catch that." When you're talking about comprehension of written matter, simply say "I don't understand [the meaning of] the last sentence."

I wonder if it might be that the back way involves Santa entering the house through the bathroom window.

through the bathroom window.
It is hardly possible. We are studying English here, and the book is about everyday English expressions. I hardly believe that vocabulary for entering a house through a window are taught.

It is hardly possible.

If he goes down the chimney, then what do you think 'the back way' means? He'll have to come up the stairs whichever way he goes, right?

We are studying English here, and the book is about everyday English expressions. I hardly believe that vocabulary for entering a house through a window are taught.

I don't follow what you mean. What vocabulary for entering a house?

I don't follow what you mean. What vocabulary for entering a house?
This particular topic is 'Location'. Santa turns out to be just accicentally here. The topic is how to drive from one place to another, explaining how to get somewhere, distances etc.

I think you are taking a supposed letter to Santa Claus from a young child a little too seriously. In any case, the directions are pretty clear.

I wonder if it might be that the back way involves Santa entering the house through the bathroom window.
A non-chimney Santa? I live in a ninth-storey flat and I cannot get my head around this. Mind you, we also have no window in our bathroom. How do I get my presents?

Don't worry—Santa will use his magic to find his way into your bedroom. :rolleyes:

Just remember to leave the door unlocked.

The upstairs 'corridor' in British houses is often referred to as 'the landing'.

I didn't know that about "landing" in BrE.
In AmE we often call a corridor a hall or hallway. We use "landing" for a squarish platform between flights when a staircase has a turn in it.

In AmE we often call a corridor a hall or hallway. We use "landing" for a squarish platform between flights when a staircase has a turn in it.

We use it for that too.

A non-chimney Santa? I live in a ninth-storey flat and I cannot get my head around this. Mind you, we also have no window in our bathroom. How do I get my presents?

I know, right? No idea.

I live in a street with precious few free parking spots. It's a mystery to me how he manages without fail to find a space for the sleigh at that time of the evening.

Last edited:
It's "a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer", 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back