Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hens make different sounds from cackling to clucking, but there's one more hard for me to describe. I have a hen who, when feels hot spreads her wings a bit; her mouth remains open and tongue dancing up and down due to hot weather or thirst, makes a low rough sound. I tried to find videos regarding the sounds hens make, but unfortunately couldn't find the one I was looking for. If I suggest what the sound sounds like, it is as 'kaw kaw' with a bit stress on 'a', but not loud like a crow's. I am not sure if we can call that sound 'kaw' as it's also the sound crows make.

Hens make different sounds, from cackling to clucking, but there's one that is more hard for me to describe. I have a hen who, when she feels hot, spreads her wings a bit. Her mouth remains open, her tongue dances up and down due to hot weather or thirst, and she makes a low, rough sound. I tried to find videos regarding the sounds hens make, but unfortunately couldn't find the one I was looking for. If I suggest what the sound sounds like, it is [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] 'kaw kaw,' with a bit of stress on 'a', but not loud like a crow's. I am not sure if we can call that sound 'kaw,' as it's also the sound crows make.
We don't have a word for that.

We don't have a word for that.

Hens make different sounds, from cackling to clucking, but there's one that is more hard for me to describe.

Wouldn't it be correct without 'that is'?

I have a hen who, when she feels hot, spreads her wings a bit.

Wasn't the subject already understood?

...it is as 'kaw kaw,' with a bit of stress on 'a', but not loud like a crow's. I am not sure if we can call that sound 'kaw,' as it's also the sound crows make.

Why do we need commas?

Wouldn't it be correct without 'that is'?
It would be possible.

Wasn't the subject already understood?
No. The verb in the subordinate clause had no subject.

What about the third question in post 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back