India
Current Location
India
Tim :- "Four years back I went to Pakistan."

Tom :- "Where were you living at that time that you are mentioning?"

Please check.

not a teacher

Tom only needs to ask: "Where were you living at that time?"

Does that mean before he went to Pakistan, or while he was there? I would have to ask.

not a teacher

Tom only needs to ask: "Where were you living at that time?"

Actually I wanted to know about "the time that you are mentioning" can it be used in a sentence?

not a teacher

"the time that you are mentioning"

It doesn't sound very natural. You might say: "The/That time you're referring to".

For your original example you might say: "Where were you living in Pakistan during that time?"

When he went to pakistan.
I'm afraid that still doesn't answer the question. "When he went to Pakistan" doesn't refer to a point in time. It could equally refer to the place he left, and the place he stayed at in Pakistan. Also, it's not an answer to my question. Is the correct alternative not given in my question that you cite?

not a teacher

I should add that I agree with Raymott. Although I made an assumption as to your meaning, that was a mistake in the sense that your sentence is still ambiguous.
As Raymott says, Tom could be asking about the place Tim left to go to Pakistan, or the place he lived in while in Pakistan.

In your very first post, without more context, Tim would have to ask Tom to clarify his question.
For example:
Tom: Where were you living at that time?
Tim: Do you mean in India, or when I got to Pakistan?

Tom could also ask: "Where were you living then?"

Tom is asking Tim that where was Tim living at that time?

I mean they both are chatting Tim tells Tom that he went to Pakistan four years back but he went there as a tourisit it was an expedition. Tim never lived there he went there for few days and returned but Tom was asking where he was living in that period of time for example Tim went there in the year 2007 so Tom is asking where he was living in the year 2007 in Maryland or Beverly Hills.

Last edited:
If the answer is Maryland or Beverly Hills, and not Karachi or Lahore, the answer to "Does that mean before he went to Pakistan, or while he was there?" is "Before he went to Pakistan". You can then elaborate if necessary. I hope you can see why your original answer didn't address the question.

Tom is asking Tim that where was Tim living at that time?

You're reporting a question, not asking one, so you shouldn't use a question mark or question word order, and that has no place in your sentence:

Tom is asking Tim [strike]that[/strike] where he was [strike]Tim[/strike] living at that time[strike]?[/strike].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back