Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Your first port of call in such situations should be a reliable dictionary.
For example, if you look at the page for "to" in the following link, you'll find the explanation you're looking for under entry #6 for "to" as a preposition.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/to

It means about, regarding or concerning.

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Maybe my question isn't clear. I'm not saying I don't understand the meaning of "to" here. What I don't understand is why "to" with such a meaning was used in the sentence. Aren't the layers in the story? The story (its message) is multilayered. The message is in the story, so do its layers, don't they?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe my question isn't clear. I'm not saying I don't understand the meaning of "to" here. What I don't understand is why "to" with such a meaning was used in the sentence. Aren't the layers in the story? The story (its message) is multilayered. The message is in the story, so are its layers, aren't they?

Probably so.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I see what you mean. The word "layers" is probably not the best choice in that sentence. A better word might have been "aspects", or "dimensions". However, the meaning is clear as it stands.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see what you mean. The word "layers" is probably not the best choice in that sentence. A better word might have been "aspects", or "dimensions". However, the meaning is clear as it stands.
Layers works perfectly for me. Layers to the story means "the story consists of many layers". Change that to "in" and the phrase means it contains many layers.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
However, the meaning is clear as it stands.

The use of "to" is still not clear to me. If a book included many stories, I would never say, "There are many stories to the book." It would be ungrammatical, right? What is not clear to me is why "There are many stories in the book" and "There are many layers/aspects/dimensions to the story" use different prepositions.

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Layers to the story means "the story consists of many layers". Change that to "in" and the phrase means it contains many layers.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. The wall consists of many bricks => There are many bricks in the wall. "To the wall" would be ungrammatical, right?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No. This is not about one thing containing another. "To" is being used to talk about aspects, facets or ways of looking at/analyzing/interpreting something.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would look at it this way - the layering is one aspect of the story, amongst others. It is an attribute, something that is tagged or linked to it closely, but not inside it.

Take a look at this idiom where "to" is used for the same reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.